Taking corners from just outside the corner kick area

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Taking corners from just outside the corner kick area

Post by HarryofOz »

The modern practice of players taking corners from just outside the corner kick area always makes me wonder why they do so. One of the Bristol players tried it on the weekend, which prompted me to raise the topic on here - though as it's been three days, obviously my old-age is showing itself.

But back to the topic, it's becoming more prevalent for the corner taker to place the ball just outside the corner kick area. 99% of the time the officials do nothing, though the ref at our game, made the Bristol player do the right thing, and even then he placed the ball so that just a smidgen of it was touching a smidgen of outer edge of the line.

So why do they do it? The inch or so difference between the where they place the ball and where they are supposed to place it, can't possibly make any difference to where the ball ends up or potentially ends up.

Is it because they psychologically get some kind of 'kick' out of cheating - even if it is on a small scale?

Is there some hidden real advantage that I can't seen?
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Taking corners from just outside the corner kick area

Post by 1964white »

HarryofOz wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 pm The modern practice of players taking corners from just outside the corner kick area always makes me wonder why they do so. One of the Bristol players tried it on the weekend, which prompted me to raise the topic on here - though as it's been three days, obviously my old-age is showing itself.

But back to the topic, it's becoming more prevalent for the corner taker to place the ball just outside the corner kick area. 99% of the time the officials do nothing, though the ref at our game, made the Bristol player do the right thing, and even then he placed the ball so that just a smidgen of it was touching a smidgen of outer edge of the line.

So why do they do it? The inch or so difference between the where they place the ball and where they are supposed to place it, can't possibly make any difference to where the ball ends up or potentially ends up.

Is it because they psychologically get some kind of 'kick' out of cheating - even if it is on a small scale?

Is there some hidden real advantage that I can't seen?
Because they are cheats Harry :(
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Any little cheat they get away with they think it’s a win for them, they’re still bloody cheats
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Marginal gains, which are then waisted when the dont clear the first man.

When was the last time you saw anyone take a throw in properly too?
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:24 pm Marginal gains, which are then waisted when the dont clear the first man.

When was the last time you saw anyone take a throw in properly too?
Ref penalised Sacko for a foul throw v Bristol City :o
BobHirst
Manager
Manager

Post by BobHirst »

A really simple solution. The linesman should stand where the ball went out. The player has to take the throw from behind where the linesman is standing.
This effectively stops the player gaining 5 10 or 15 yards on the throw.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Glad to know that I haven't missed anything obvious :)

The way throw-ins are officiated in football reminds me of the way scrums are officiated in rugby league (at least in Australia, as I haven't seen what happens elsewhere)

Every now and then the ref will stop a throw in from being taken, or order it to be retaken as the player taken the thrown in has taken it a few metres from the correct spot. The said player will immediately retake the throw from the same spot and the ref will allow play to continue.

In rugby league every now and then the ref will stop play after a scrum ruling that the half back has fed the scrum incorrectly. The half back will refeed the scrum in exactly the same way, and the ref will allow play to continue.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The only advantage I can think of would be that it allows the player a slightly easier run up to it (the corner flag is then less in the way) so that they can then have greater choice over where they kick it so they can make it bend exactly how they want it.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 am The only advantage I can think of would be that it allows the player a slightly easier run up to it (the corner flag is then less in the way) so that they can then have greater choice over where they kick it so they can make it bend exactly how they want it.
I hadn't thought of that, that could well be it.