Paul Heckingbottom

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Paul Heckingbottom

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm Today's Press Conference
Heckingbottom says he wants the players to feel a "touch of jealousy" when they see what Villa are playing for
Or perhaps if they can remember just 2 months back to the time before PH was appointed and we were still in with a chance of making the play-offs.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Clive wrote:

He says there were slim hopes of the play-offs, yet we were a point behind Middlesbrough and Millwall were 15th and 6 points behind us when he took over.
Taking into account our run of results when he came in it was just being realistic. Whoever thought we had a real chance of reaching the play-offs must have been dreaming.

He says those hopes died out quickly, but what does he consider quickly? We were still above Millwall after the Middlesbrough game which was his 5th game in charge.
When did he start on this second phase and what exactly are we supposed to be seeing that will stand us in good stead for next season?
Testing some of the youngsters. BPF has proven that he can be a good 2nd keeper. Learning what players are all about takes time, thaat`s normal I guess. Of course hopes died quickly with us playing quite terrible and seeing other teams gathering momentum.

He shouldn't even have been entertaining the idea of missing out on the play-offs until it was impossible. It sounds as though he'd already written them off when he came in.
LOL, now that is simply idiotic to say. He isn`t a fan, but a coach who is probably able to evaluate what the squad with many missing players is capable of. I said it then that our chances had gone (5 games earlier!...after losing valuable points against average teams...the red card for Saiz was the nail in the coffin for me.) and the chance of it developing differently was maybe 5% and would have been like a magical change of our abilities.

I hate all the talk of over-achieving, Grayson used to say it all the time, too. If by doing well you're over-achieving then the bar is set pretty low and you have to be in relegation trouble before you're under-achieving.
Let`s not Forget, that those two runs without defeat were also down to a large portion of luck. Things could have hardly gone better for us in those games. We were overachieving at those times, simply because we weren`t as good as the results suggest. The bad runs were down to some bad luck also to be fair: injuries, red cards, decisions in games going against us. So I guess we have overachieved and underachieved, all in all probably a fair reflection of what we`re worth.

McDermott used to talk about next season, and how he was building for the future, and how good it would be. Anyone can say that, you have to show something in the here and now.
So you want a coach to say what he doesn`t believe in? Him saying our chances were slim was spot on (maybe a bit too optimistic!), and he has thereby proven of being able to evaluate chances realistically. But I guess you are thinking of selffullfilling prophecies.

Radrizzani said he appointed him to get us in the top 6 this season, not only has he failed miserably at that, he's playing down our chances of doing it next season, too.
He was stupid to sack TC if his aim was a magic change of the squads potential by getting a new coach in...anyone would have been good enough I guess. Silly to say such things either way, as Monk used to say: `Game by game, and the rest takes care of itself.`
What a pathetic loser!
What a rediculously naiv daydreamer! (But I must admit that I can`t warm to Heckingbottom either at the present Moment. He Comes across of being so lame, almost not really interested, can`t see the fire in him...but time will tell if that is a superficial impression or not. And I believe a coach can be realistic and remain motivated at the same time.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

God forgive me...but I want us to lose so we can finally get rid of this joker.
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

radebe88 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:23 pm It’s exhausting now Cjay. How on earth has he managed to pull the wool over peoples eyes
Because he talks about "passion" and "fighting for 2nd balls" .

Old fashioned manager talk, same as Mick McCarthy and the like.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

rab_rant wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:51 am Not to belabour a point but instead of listening to him I just watch his interviews.
During this one he sat the whole time with his arms crossed over his chest
in a very defensive position. Poor guy, I can only imagine the inner turmoil.
Good on Phil Hay for asking the hard questions.

He needed to be asked
"Do you think a manager who has 2 wins since Christmas and is second from
bottom in the managerial stakes with only a 12% success rate is a suitable manager
to be in charge of Leeds United?

I think he just might explode trying to answer that.
Agree his body language is negative.

He always has his arms folded even on the touchline.
Signed

King Cjay

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm Because he talks about "passion" and "fighting for 2nd balls" .

Old fashioned manager talk, same as Mick McCarthy and the like.
So we might as well keep him, or do you see any proven coach appearing on the horizon? Well, who knows, but glad not all are going for Mick McCartneys 19th century approach.
Last edited by fred on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Cjay wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:59 pm Agree his body language is negative.

He always has his arms folded even on the touchline.
Monk makes the Impression of being a happy chap in comparison to Heckingbottom.
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

fred wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 pm So we might as well keep him, or do you see any proven coach appearing on the horizon? Well, who knows, but glad not all are going for Mick McCartney.
If we keep him...we are League One fodder !!! Get rid
Most plagiarists, like the drone, have neither taste to select, industry to acquire, nor skill to improve, but impudently pilfer the honey ready prepared, from the hive......
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Ronan wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:59 pm If we keep him...we are League One fodder !!! Get rid
So you believe that as good as every coach would be better than the Heck? What about the Hock? Maybe Radz could persuade him to come back with the official aim of winning the CL with Hock himself in the driving seat.
(By the way, you could be not far from the truth in regard to such evaluation of Heckingbottom, I just couldn`t say what he could deliver with a better squad...but there are signs that he would fail, and if only because of his anti-euphorical personality.)
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

fred wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:02 pm So you believe that as good as every coach would be better than the Heck? What about the Hock? Maybe Radz could persuade him to come back with the official aim of winning the CL with Hock himself in the driving seat.
(By the way, you could be not far from the truth in regard to such evaluation of Heckingbottom, I just couldn`t say what he could deliver with a better squad...but there are signs that he would fail, and if only because of his anti-euphorical personality.)
Why did we dump TC for this fool ??
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cause TC was in free fall and we were conceding 4 a game with our defence intact
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cliff
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Cliff »

rich_leeds64 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 am Just seen a post on Twitter,
In LUFCs history there’s been 35 managers, based on win percentage PH is currently 34th (12%) sitting proudly above Darko Milanic (0%)

Enough said.
Is Hecky down to 11% yet???

Pot him now!
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

faaip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:47 pm Cause TC was in free fall and we were conceding 4 a game with our defence intact
Are you Radrizzani?
Ronan
Manager
Manager

Post by Ronan »

faaip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:47 pm Cause TC was in free fall and we were conceding 4 a game with our defence intact
How we have progressed since !!! :shock:
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

fred wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:02 pm Clive wrote:

He says there were slim hopes of the play-offs, yet we were a point behind Middlesbrough and Millwall were 15th and 6 points behind us when he took over.
Taking into account our run of results when he came in it was just being realistic. Whoever thought we had a real chance of reaching the play-offs must have been dreaming.

He says those hopes died out quickly, but what does he consider quickly? We were still above Millwall after the Middlesbrough game which was his 5th game in charge.
When did he start on this second phase and what exactly are we supposed to be seeing that will stand us in good stead for next season?
Testing some of the youngsters. BPF has proven that he can be a good 2nd keeper. Learning what players are all about takes time, thaat`s normal I guess. Of course hopes died quickly with us playing quite terrible and seeing other teams gathering momentum.

He shouldn't even have been entertaining the idea of missing out on the play-offs until it was impossible. It sounds as though he'd already written them off when he came in.
LOL, now that is simply idiotic to say. He isn`t a fan, but a coach who is probably able to evaluate what the squad with many missing players is capable of. I said it then that our chances had gone (5 games earlier!...after losing valuable points against average teams...the red card for Saiz was the nail in the coffin for me.) and the chance of it developing differently was maybe 5% and would have been like a magical change of our abilities.

I hate all the talk of over-achieving, Grayson used to say it all the time, too. If by doing well you're over-achieving then the bar is set pretty low and you have to be in relegation trouble before you're under-achieving.
Let`s not Forget, that those two runs without defeat were also down to a large portion of luck. Things could have hardly gone better for us in those games. We were overachieving at those times, simply because we weren`t as good as the results suggest. The bad runs were down to some bad luck also to be fair: injuries, red cards, decisions in games going against us. So I guess we have overachieved and underachieved, all in all probably a fair reflection of what we`re worth.

McDermott used to talk about next season, and how he was building for the future, and how good it would be. Anyone can say that, you have to show something in the here and now.
So you want a coach to say what he doesn`t believe in? Him saying our chances were slim was spot on (maybe a bit too optimistic!), and he has thereby proven of being able to evaluate chances realistically. But I guess you are thinking of selffullfilling prophecies.

Radrizzani said he appointed him to get us in the top 6 this season, not only has he failed miserably at that, he's playing down our chances of doing it next season, too.
He was stupid to sack TC if his aim was a magic change of the squads potential by getting a new coach in...anyone would have been good enough I guess. Silly to say such things either way, as Monk used to say: `Game by game, and the rest takes care of itself.`
What a pathetic loser!
What a rediculously naiv daydreamer! (But I must admit that I can`t warm to Heckingbottom either at the present Moment. He Comes across of being so lame, almost not really interested, can`t see the fire in him...but time will tell if that is a superficial impression or not. And I believe a coach can be realistic and remain motivated at the same time.
I've been laughed at and called idiotic here.

BAN HIM!

BAN HIM!

RESPECT MY OPINION!

:evil:
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 pm I've been laughed at and called idiotic here.

BAN HIM!

BAN HIM!

RESPECT MY OPINION!

:evil:
O.k., mate, I apologize for calling your view idiotic. Won`t happen again.
Last edited by fred on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

radebe88 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:06 pm True

Have you seen the pic on twitter by the way of every Leeds manager so far in order of points per game?

PH is 2nd worst in our history. Only Darko was worse and he only got 6 games
Yeah i saw that.

And Darko only lost 50% of his games Hecky has lost 53%.

Quick glace and looks like apart from The Hock and some guy from the 30s Heck has the highest loss percentage of any permanent Leeds manager.
Signed

King Cjay

fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Have you seen the pic on twitter by the way of every Leeds manager so far in order of points per game?

Yeah, but take into account the amount of players that are missing (Ayling is a major loss, he provided a lot strengh going forward on the right side). Stats are stats and don`t necessarily give a valid view of things.
I`m not saying that Heckingbottom is the right man, but I just can`t see the point in sacking him and being replaced with some other
unproven coach trying to get lucky.
Today I thought that we tryed to play football instead of long ball tactics. When and if the fans start calling for Hecks sacking at games he probably needs to go whatever follows, but that doesn`t seem to have been the case up to now.

I`m tired of seeing coaches being sacked time after time again. (Yes, we should have kept Christinsen at least till the end of the season.)
Last edited by fred on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clive
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clive »

Darko lost 3 and drew 3 of his 6 games.

Heckingbottom has taken 4 points from his last 6 games and lost 4 of them.

We scored 4 and conceded 8 under Darko, in Heck's last 6 we've scored 5 and conceded 10.

I knew Heckingbottom would be no good, but I thought Saiz would come back and we'd finish the season strongly, and he wouldn't be exposed until next season.

The whole situation is painfully embarrassing for Radrizzani, Heckingbottom, the club, the media who talk him up and the fans who defend him.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by fred »

Clive wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:27 pm Darko lost 3 and drew 3 of his 6 games.

Heckingbottom has taken 4 points from his last 6 games and lost 4 of them.

We scored 4 and conceded 8 under Darko, in Heck's last 6 we've scored 5 and conceded 10.

I knew Heckingbottom would be no good, but I thought Saiz would come back and we'd finish the season strongly, and he wouldn't be exposed until next season.

The whole situation is painfully embarrassing for Radrizzani, Heckingbottom, the club, the media who talk him up and the fans who defend him.
I won`t call your view concluded from the mentioned stats idiotic, but simply not valid. How compare coaches based on 6 games against maybe total different opposition, with different squads available etc.?

You call fans who don`t call for Hecks sacking embarassing? Embarassingly idiotic? You dish out, but obviously can`t take it if you are called embarassing (just in slightly less political correct words maybe)?

Whatever, no need for verbal fights between Leeds fans. Just can`t join in to some of your opinions you believe to be without a doubt true. You might be right, but that could only be proven if Heckingbottom is given a reasonable chance. I admit that I don`t know what the best solution is, and find it a bit embarrassing to see people having no doubts whatsoever in regard their `opinions`.

But whatever, time will tell if Heck stays, if not noone will ever know if he would have been successfull or not. (Or more or less successfull than the next coach.)
Last edited by fred on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.