Adam Forshaw- Joins Plymouth

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Adam Forshaw

Post by Cjay »

Getting worried about Forshaw, he is beginning to remind me of Eunan O'Kane.

Slows our play down, passing can be careless, doesnt offer much defensively in the holding role.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm Getting worried about Forshaw, he is beginning to remind me of Eunan O'Kane.

Slows our play down, passing can be careless, doesnt offer much defensively in the holding role.
Three valid points Cjay :tup:
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

1964white wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:11 pm Three valid points Cjay :tup:
Need to get Kalvin back to his best position CDM
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Forshaw is our only injury prone player who's not injured anymore :lol:
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

He always seems slow and clumsy also appears very nonchalant in possession. Maybe it's just me but I'm not his biggest fan tbh.Just wish he'd liven things up a bit and be more adventurous.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Thought Forshaw did well vs Bristol City, took up good positions, rotated well with Klich and KP.

But one thing that he will never be is a true box to box midfielder imo.

Because his end product is very poor, i know he got an assist but he had 3 or 4 decent chances and he didnt hit the target once.

He only has 3 goals and 5 assists in over 100 Championship games so its not a shock.

I wonder if we sign Kent will we see less of Forshaw? Kent to the 10, Klich back to the box to box role ?

Did think he did well on Sunday but a box to box mid has to have an end product imo.
Signed

King Cjay

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Agreed, he did well until the final third, plus his assist was hardly even that as Pablo did all the work to create that goal.

It is great to see him playing at such a high tempo and with such confidence too.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

God forbid if Phillips goes & Marcelo deploys him as our replacement defensive midfielder because he ain't one. Yes he had a good game on Sunday, must have done as AF was in my MOTM six
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 pm God forbid if Phillips goes & Marcelo deploys him as our replacement defensive midfielder because he ain't one.
You know I have that concern too.

Lets hope for no transfer day shocks
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:20 pm You know I have that concern too.

Lets hope for no transfer day shocks
I bet your bottom dollar we're unprepared for Phillips departure should he go.

I still think he'll stay, we can't afford to be complacent though

Right now we are totally relying on Pablo, Phillips & Bamford remaining fit/staying, all three absolutely crucial to our cause
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Freely admit i am not his biggest fan.

However!!!!!

I am starting to see why MB plays him where he does.

He isnt going to score goals or terrify the opposition or get the fans off their seats with wonderful skills.

But, he is going to make is harder to break down, he is going to keep things ticking over, he is going to give Klich more freedom and Phillips more help.

Is it a sign maybe MB has adapted?

Its the same style and all that but Forshaw isnt a typical box to box mid.

Well done Adam, keep it up, you fit the system and it takes some of us more time to accept that then others (me)

Still maintain that he would be unnecessary vs certain teams :oops:
Signed

King Cjay

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Cjay wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 pm Freely admit i am not his biggest fan.

However!!!!!

I am starting to see why MB plays him where he does.

He isnt going to score goals or terrify the opposition or get the fans off their seats with wonderful skills.

But, he is going to make is harder to break down, he is going to keep things ticking over, he is going to give Klich more freedom and Phillips more help.

Is it a sign maybe MB has adapted?

Its the same style and all that but Forshaw isnt a typical box to box mid.

Well done Adam, keep it up, you fit the system and it takes some of us more time to accept that then others (me)

Still maintain that he would be unnecessary vs certain teams :oops:
Agree Cjay I’ve been really impressed by Forshaw this season, really hope he gets the goal he deserves sometime soon :tup: :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The main concerns I have with Forshaw is that

A) He has never been a goalscoring midfielder and as such in some matches his misses will prove crucial, if Bamford didn't tap in the rebound v Wigan that missed header from a few yards out could have cost us the game. Maybe goals will come but usually players are either scorers or they aren't.

B) The passing weight and accuracy. Now people will look at Forshaw's passing stats and they will probably look decent, his passes usually get to the intended player. However his passes tend to slow down the player receiving it as the ball is played at them rather than in front of them. This slows down the receiving player's momentum and as such the whole move slows down. An example of a pass played at the right weight and accuracy would be Klich's pass to Costa in the build up to the goal. The ball was played in front of Costa and the weight of the pass meant that Costa could take the ball without breaking stride which meant he didn't have to slow down which would have killed the move as he'd have had to take the ball and then take on the man. Because Costa could take the ball without breaking stride he was able to break away from his marker and get into a great position to cross. If the ball was too slow he would have had to check his run and if it was too fast he would have been having to chase it and likely cross on the stretch making it a much harder opportunity to find Eddie, likely the only option would have been trying to scoop it over defenders and keepers.

Forshaw is for me is typical of English midfielders and the poor coaching they receive as youngsters. Keeping possession is not just about passing to players and it is why when teams such as Spain play possession football they are able to open up the opposition as the passing enables movement and players aren't static (or forced to be static by the pass) when receiving the ball.

Hopefully Forshaw can improve both aspects and Bielsa is certainly the coach that will be able to improve his game. If he does that then we may well be talking about Forshaw at the end of this season in the same way KP was being talked about in terms of how improved he is and how crucial he is to the team. Forshaw is looking like he did when we first signed him, and it is good to see, but I still think he has the capability to be a lot better.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:47 am The main concerns I have with Forshaw is that

A) He has never been a goalscoring midfielder and as such in some matches his misses will prove crucial, if Bamford didn't tap in the rebound v Wigan that missed header from a few yards out could have cost us the game. Maybe goals will come but usually players are either scorers or they aren't.

B) The passing weight and accuracy. Now people will look at Forshaw's passing stats and they will probably look decent, his passes usually get to the intended player. However his passes tend to slow down the player receiving it as the ball is played at them rather than in front of them. This slows down the receiving player's momentum and as such the whole move slows down. An example of a pass played at the right weight and accuracy would be Klich's pass to Costa in the build up to the goal. The ball was played in front of Costa and the weight of the pass meant that Costa could take the ball without breaking stride which meant he didn't have to slow down which would have killed the move as he'd have had to take the ball and then take on the man. Because Costa could take the ball without breaking stride he was able to break away from his marker and get into a great position to cross. If the ball was too slow he would have had to check his run and if it was too fast he would have been having to chase it and likely cross on the stretch making it a much harder opportunity to find Eddie, likely the only option would have been trying to scoop it over defenders and keepers.

Forshaw is for me is typical of English midfielders and the poor coaching they receive as youngsters. Keeping possession is not just about passing to players and it is why when teams such as Spain play possession football they are able to open up the opposition as the passing enables movement and players aren't static (or forced to be static by the pass) when receiving the ball.

Hopefully Forshaw can improve both aspects and Bielsa is certainly the coach that will be able to improve his game. If he does that then we may well be talking about Forshaw at the end of this season in the same way KP was being talked about in terms of how improved he is and how crucial he is to the team. Forshaw is looking like he did when we first signed him, and it is good to see, but I still think he has the capability to be a lot better.
Batty wasn't a goal scoring midfielder either, also a box to box player. I wouldn't say no to his type again. We have goals from a lot of areas so I'm not worried about Forshaw's scoring record. Not sure Phillips is that good either and he's had a few shots and set pieces recently..We should have plenty of goals in us from the two strikers, Pablo, Helder, Harrison, Klich and I reckon if he keeps starting Dallas will get 5 plus, Very good eye for goal
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Batty wasn't but equally Batty wasn't playing in a position where he was going to find himself in the shooting positions that Forshaw does. Batty also played in a midfield where the other 3 midfielders were likely going to score 30 goals between them. Like you say KP offers little goal threat too.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

I agree with Weasel, Foshaw finds himself in some great positions but cant seem to find the target, this the weak part of his game. Already this season he has had some cracking chances.

Maybe it is just the Mb style that will sometimes find the wrong player in the right position.
'
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

That is the downside with Forshaw, he has already missed quite a few decent chances and in many cases not even hit the target when he really should have.

He has never been a goalscorer or creator and that is unlikely to change imo. Thats why i feel some games he will be unnecessary, some games will require more of an attacking threat, Shacks, Bogusz, Klich etc in the box to box role.

However Forshaw does offer balance, he does give Klich some support going forward but also helps Phillips out and he keeps the ball well, sometimes his passing is a bit pedestrian like Weasel says but he does atleast usually keep the ball.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Cjay wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:25 pm That is the downside with Forshaw, he has already missed quite a few decent chances and in many cases not even hit the target when he really should have

He has never been a goalscorer or creator and that is unlikely to change imo. Thats why i feel some games he will be unnecessary, some games will require more of an attacking threat, Shacks, Bogusz, Klich etc in the box to box role.

However Forshaw does offer balance, he does give Klich some support going forward but also helps Phillips out and he keeps the ball well, sometimes his passing is a bit pedestrian like Weasel says but he does atleast usually keep the ball.
To be fair ..ditto Bamford and he's the striker
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
dezzy
Manager
Manager

Post by dezzy »

Forshaw is turning into a pretty important player for us, but he is very wasteful in the final third. Take him out and we are much more dangerous, but much more open. Bielsa mentioned two strikers, you would think it would be Forshaw who misses out
I realised I was dyslexic when I went to a toga party dressed as a goat..
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Proving to be an important cog in Bielsa's team

Yet another player who has improved immensely under Marcelo's guidance

Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 07.44.24.png
Screenshot 2019-08-23 at 07.44.24.png (238.43 KiB) Viewed 3123 times