Quality of squad in regard to PL

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
fred
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Quality of squad in regard to PL

Post by fred »

Just a thought: how many of the current squad would be good enough for the PL?
Yes: Jansson, Saiz,
Maybe could adapt (or as back-up): Hernandez, Vieira, Dallas, Pennington, Cooper
Most probably couldn`t: Alioski, Roofe, Ekuban, Cibicki, O`Kane, Peacock-Farrell,
No: Lasogga, Berardi, Wiedwald, Phillips, Grot, Ayling, Shaughnessy, Sacko, Klich, Lonergan, Anita, Borthwick-Jackson

To go up even with 7 players clearly capable to adapt wouldn`t be very promissing. I just think we are still some distance away
from having a squad capable to go up AND have a chance not to come straight back down again. (This implying that 4-5 above Championship quality players would come in.)

Thoughts? Too pessimistic, too optimistic?
I think we should build for the next 2-3 years. No panic buys in January (with 3-4 year contracts), maybe taking a chance with1-2 loan signing. In summer get in 2-3 QUALITY players. We`ve enough mass, we need quality now. If we can keep hold of the best players, we should be able to challenge very seriously maybe already next season. Just can`t see it happening this year.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Quality of squad in regard to PL

Post by 1964white »

Pontus & Saiz would be fine

Age is not on Pablo's side

Hopefully the fast improving Vieira would be good enough

As for the rest they are all championship fodder at best !
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Problem is if we don't go up this season we'll probably lose Pontus, Saiz & Vieira
Haighy
First Team
First Team

Post by Haighy »

Saiz only for me.
We're an average championship team. I can't see us going up this year, so as 64 says, we'll lose our better players and the whole charade starts again.
Money, and lots of it, is the only hope of promotion.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I was looking at the Premiership table yesterday and thought how well the 3 teams that went up were doing, doubt we'd adapt so well with our squad. I honestly don't think we're ready but the problem then is keeping the better players here.
We could do with 3 players now to add to the first 11, then 3/4 more in the summer for a serious challenge next season.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I was looking at the Premiership table yesterday and thought how well the 3 teams that went up were doing, doubt we'd adapt so well with our squad. I honestly don't think we're ready but the problem then is keeping the better players here.
We could do with 3 players now to add to the first 11, then 3/4 more in the summer for a serious challenge next season.
Indeed mate

I doubt it will pan out like that though :(
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

gessa wrote:I was looking at the Premiership table yesterday and thought how well the 3 teams that went up were doing, doubt we'd adapt so well with our squad. I honestly don't think we're ready but the problem then is keeping the better players here.
Ditto Gessa

Out of our current squad

Saiz definitely Prem quality
Pontus the same
I’d also add Berardi the Warrior into that class who wouldn’t want him in your squad, maybe not first 11 but as he’s shown what a squad player
Alioski is a maybe for me, with the extra time and space he’d get in the Prem
Vieira and Phillips both young and improving similar to Berardi squad players who would benefit massively from the experience and may well grow into the roles
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

How long do you think Saiz would keep his place in a premier league side? If he was that good he'd be opening up championship defences at will and should be on around 10 goals already. He's 27 in a few days so should be showing a little more for me. Love the on ball skills, love the battle but lacks end product all too often with poor final balls and sub standard finishing. His potential is capped by his age for me. He's a perfect championship midfielder for us and I'd hate him to go but there are flaws to his game

Jansson and Vierra for me are premiership quality.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Berardi in his preferred RB slot is, for my money, a bottom half Prem player. And that's where we'd be competing initially. Maybe wouldn't be good enough for a side with top 6 ambitions but harsh, imo, from the OP that he isn't good enough at all.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:Berardi in his preferred RB slot is, for my money, a bottom half Prem player. And that's where we'd be competing initially. Maybe wouldn't be good enough for a side with top 6 ambitions but harsh, imo, from the OP that he isn't good enough at all.
agree with that, very solid defender which I'd imagine two or three teams in the relegation race could use around now
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Jansson certainly.

Pablo on occasion, age is against him but for the odd game he has the talent.

Vieira certainly at 19 cant think of a better midfielder of the same age playing in the prem now.

Saiz and Alioski both maybe. Talent but obvious flaws.

Saiz 27 soon theres a reason he hasnt played at a higher level, to one footed, to selfish on occasion, end product isnt perfect. Works on that then he has the potential.
Alioski-Almost exactly a year younger, talented to but very inconsistent, work rate is fantastic but needs to be braver, take his man on more imo.

Berardi, Dallas, Phillips, Anita, Weidlwald,decent squad players.
Ayling maybe if he can find some discipline be a decent squad player.

Phillips, Cibicki,Grot all have there potential and are still young.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jansson might be playing in the premiership sooner than we think if the Saints test the water with a big offer :cry: :verysad: