Not clinical and lack of leadership

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Not clinical and lack of leadership

Post by Cjay »

There was a stat yesterday.

Basically if we go behind thats it, we dont come back, in control until we went behind yesterday and that was it. :cry:

Checking the Sheffield Wednesday forum report on the match and up until they went ahead they were expecting to get battered, our pace, our movement, our passing was far superior, then they scored, poof all that was gone. :hammer:

So it seems we have to go ahead to win matches, which brings me to my first question.

Are we not clinical enough?
Saiz for all his good yesterday should have scored atleast once, same against Cardiff he had one chance he should have scored, Lasogga should have scored his chance yesterday, Alioski should have scored or squared it yesterday.
If we score first this season we win, every match, we score first, we win.
Makes sense, we score first , opponents have to chase, we keep possession, pull them about, creates gaps and space to exploit and as we have seen we pick them off.

Hypothetically, but such was our control yesterday im convinced if we scored first as we threatened to do, then we win, that being the case for all TCs questionable selections or whatever thats not his fault, his players wernt clinical when it mattered, same against Cardiff imo.

Brings me to my next question, something i think Noel Whelan said, we have no leaders, nobody giving a teammate a rocket if they make a mistake, nobody leading by example, nobody getting everyone going when we go behind.

Last season Kyle Bartley could be seen screaming his head off at various times, telling people where to stand or whatever., i didnt see that yesterday, nobody was doing that, Ayling, Pontus etc, should they be doing more?

Where is our Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Steven Gerrard, our midfielder grabbing his teamates by the balls and dragging a performance out of them?

So the questions are.
Are we clinical enough?
Do we lack leadership specifically at the back and in the center of midfield?
Do we need to make a radical choice for captain? Vieira Saiz etc
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
seadog68
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Not clinical and lack of leadership

Post by seadog68 »

We are too soft starting with the inept keeper. Why didn't he take Hooper out with the ball for the first goal ? The ball comes into the box too cheaply by not closing down then are given too much room in the box.
Teams have sussed us playing the ball about at the back we ain't comfortable doing it giving away cheap possession due to them pushing up and putting us under pressure. Until we have players capable of playing that system I would ditch it. Forest play a similar way and they also have struggled with it.

Not taking away the great start we have made but we do need a plan B and I am sure TC will sort it out.

Never give in. MOT
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: So the questions are.
Are we clinical enough?

We were clinical for a few matches, much more so than last season

That seems to have gone in our last three aways. You're right we need to score first as there seems little fight in the current squad when we go behind in games

Cjay wrote:Do we lack leadership specifically at the back and in the center of midfield?

No I don't think we do with Cooper & Pontus at the back. Goalie is our main problem, he gives our defence no confidence whatsoever !

Cjay wrote:Do we need to make a radical choice for captain? Vieira Saiz etc

No I don't think so. Watching yesterday I don't think Ayling is a leader :shock:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:We were clinical for a few matches, much more so than last season
were we though, Forest for example should have been 5 not 2, Sunderland the same, i dont think we were apart from Burton.
That seems to have gone in our last three aways. You're right we need to score first as there seems little fight in the current squad when we go behind in games

didnt realise that till Sky showed it, seems this isnt a TC problem it stretched back 20 odd Championship games.

No I don't think we do with Cooper & Pontus at the back. Goalie is our main problem, he gives our defence no confidence whatsoever !
Still not convinced by Cooper, to get sent off how he did when he had got lucky once already showed a lack of leadership for me. He is a plaster over a gushing wound we need better.

No I don't think so. Watching yesterday I don't think Ayling is a leader :shock:
Agreed, but maybe Saiz could be, not in a vocal sense but a do as i do?
Or Vieira may be galvanised by it?
Signed

King Cjay

hector

Post by hector »

Move Berardi back to right back, and make him the captain....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:Move Berardi back to right back, and make him the captain....
Gaetano has proved this season that he is no left-back

I still think TC is playing his full-backs too far up-field, the Owls just pumped the ball over the top into the wide open spaces & we had no one to deal with them apart from Pontus who was constantly being dragged out of position to cover their arses, as I said earlier Jansson isn't superman !
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Gaetano has proved this season that he is no left-back

I still think TC is playing his full-backs too far up-field, the Owls just pumped the ball over the top into the wide open spaces & we had no one to deal with them apart from Pontus who was constantly being dragged out of position to cover their arses, as I said earlier Jansson isn't superman !
Seems to be the way, shove your fullbacks far forward, is that where a dm drops back and covers cb or goes out to cover the full backs?Whichever it is our Central mids wernt doing that.
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Seems to be the way, shove your fullbacks far forward, is that where a dm drops back and covers cb or goes out to cover the full backs?Whichever it is our Central mids wernt doing that.
O'Kane & Phillips were just jogging about aimlessly yesterday.

Another thing.....why does Phillips laugh his head off when he makes a mistake, so annoying ?

Pontus yelled at him for not tracking a runner & he just laugh at him stupid little t*t
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:O'Kane & Phillips were just jogging about aimlessly yesterday.

Another thing.....why does Phillips laugh his head off when he makes a mistake, so annoying ?

Pontus yelled at him for not tracking a runner & he just laugh at him stupid little t*t
Not surprised, wasnt convinced by them as a partnership before yesterday. Still say the best cm display for Leeds as a pair this season cup game or not was Klich and Vieira vs Burnley.

Did he?

Probably believes his own hype whereas he is imo the least talented cm we have produced recently behind Cook, Vieira and Howson.

Bet he wouldn't have done that without 30k witnesses :twisted:
Signed

King Cjay

1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote:Not surprised, wasnt convinced by them as a partnership before yesterday. Still say the best cm display for Leeds as a pair this season cup game or not was Klich and Vieira vs Burnley.

Did he?

Probably believes his own hype whereas he is imo the least talented cm we have produced recently behind Cook, Vieira and Howson.

Bet he wouldn't have done that without 30k witnesses :twisted:
Something you don't always see on the telly

Another thing I witnessed yesterday, when play stopped for an injury in the first-half after we just gone 2-0 down, the likes of Jansson, Saiz, Lasogga, O'Kane were pointing & gesturing to other players assuming discussing on how to sort things out. Our captain for the day Ayling was stood 20 yards away with his hands on his hips, surely as the leader of the pack he should have been rounding up his troops giving instructions & encouragement !
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Cjay wrote:
Are we not clinical enough?
Saiz for all his good yesterday should have scored atleast once, same against Cardiff he had one chance he should have scored,

[/b]
Saiz didn't play at Cardiff..........do you mean Alioski?
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Anybody else think it might have been a little premature getting rid of Bridcutt? I know we didn't see the best of him last season, particularly second half of the season when he was rushed back from injury too soon (imo), but he was a battler, leader and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Qualities we appear to lacking at the minute.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Durly wrote:Saiz didn't play at Cardiff..........do you mean Alioski?
Your right, my mistake, was definitely Saiz i think it must have been a chance against Millwall then.

He had the ball on the left tried to cut inside and took to long.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote:Something you don't always see on the telly

Another thing I witnessed yesterday, when play stopped for an injury in the first-half after we just gone 2-0 down, the likes of Jansson, Saiz, Lasogga, O'Kane were pointing & gesturing to other players assuming discussing on how to sort things out. Our captain for the day Ayling was stood 20 yards away with his hands on his hips, surely as the leader of the pack he should have been rounding up his troops giving instructions & encouragement !
One of those who is a bit immune to criticism imo, great signing but he is no captain as that showed.

He should have had Alioski or Roofe whichever was on the right at the time and been shouting at and encouraging them.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote:Anybody else think it might have been a little premature getting rid of Bridcutt? I know we didn't see the best of him last season, particularly second half of the season when he was rushed back from injury too soon (imo), but he was a battler, leader and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. Qualities we appear to lacking at the minute.
Maybe as a squad player but dont think anymore than that.

We have a more talented battler, just he wasnt fit it turns out against Wednesday.
Signed

King Cjay

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Cjay wrote:Maybe as a squad player but dont think anymore than that.

We have a more talented battler, just he wasnt fit it turns out against Wednesday.
I'd agree he'd have been nothing more than a squad player, but would have been handy to use in games where a bit more muscle over finesse was required.

Who? O'Kane?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

lufc1304 wrote:I'd agree he'd have been nothing more than a squad player, but would have been handy to use in games where a bit more muscle over finesse was required.

Who? O'Kane?
Vieira, for me he is our most talented midfielder and we should be building our midfield around him not Phillips and O'Kane.
Signed

King Cjay

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Durly wrote:Saiz didn't play at Cardiff..........do you mean Alioski?
Where was it he had all day in the box after clever work from Pablo? Still to too long. I think that's the chance CJ is referring too
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

faaip wrote:Where was it he had all day in the box after clever work from Pablo? Still to too long. I think that's the chance CJ is referring too

versus Ipswich?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

faaip wrote:Where was it he had all day in the box after clever work from Pablo? Still to too long. I think that's the chance CJ is referring too
Possibly Millwall? I watched that game but can remember very little about it, the performance was so poor.