Monday Breakfast Debate - Wood's replacement ?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Monday Breakfast Debate - Wood's replacement ?

Post by 1964white »

Wood has gone, he's history now

So what type of striker do you want to see replace CW?

Someone similar who holds the ball up & leads the line well, maybe a Jordan Rhodes who is gonna cost a fortune & his bang average imo OR a striker similar to Jermaine Beckford/Troy Deeney whom sit on the shoulders of a defender with plenty of pace to beat their marker?

Also should we be looking at the European market or go for a British striker that will no doubt come at an inflated fee?

It seems Rangers are showing interest in signing Doukara who appears not to be in TC's plans.
With Antonsson gone & the likelihood of Ekuban out of action for a while after his injury at Sunderland the question his :

Apart from Wood's replacement how many strikers do we need to sign before the transfer window closes at the end of August?
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Re: Monday Breakfast Debate - Wood's replacement ?

Post by Oscar »

Deeney my first choice, the only real like for like Wood replacement who is realistic imo.
Good finisher, Outstanding hold up play, Brings others into the game and a nightmare to defend against.

Would also be happy with McCormack if he is fully fit and focused.

This needs to be a marquee signing though imo.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Oscar wrote:Deeney my first choice, the only real like for like Wood replacement who is realistic imo.
Good finisher, Outstanding hold up play, Brings others into the game and a nightmare to defend against.

Would also be happy with McCormack if he is fully fit and focused.

This needs to be a marquee signing though imo.
Explains your avatar :lol: Not for me Oscar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would rule out anyone at a premiership club as likely they will be on silly wages and also cost a fortune - if we are going to be spending that sort of money we'd have been better off forcing Wood to honour his contract, at least till January/end of the season, than say spending £10m out of the £15m we look likely to receive and then paying someone double what Wood was on. That makes no sense as at least we know what we had with Wood and no guarantee a striker dropping down from the premiership would have the motivation to do well.

I would much rather we spent a decent chunk of the fee and got someone in from a foreign league. With being able to spend a decent amount of money the player will hopefully be less of a gamble. As for whether it is a pacy striker or hold up striker I am not concerned either way as it is up to TC to know what type of striker fits his plans better. With pace around him with the likes of Saiz and Alioski it is not essential that the striker has pace so it might be that we go for a similar player to Wood, i.e. target man, or perhaps someone who is able to create something for themselves in the box with a bit of skill.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I didn't realise Deeney was available and if he is surely another Premier league club would be interested, like Brighton, for example, it was only 12 months ago Watford doubled his wage to 50k per week to fend off Leicester, a) would he drop to the championship b) could/ would we pay that wage. If he is available surely Burnley would have been better going for him rather than Wood, he has proved he can score in the Premier league. Saying that I'd have him here in a heartbeat.
Where is Ulloa from Leicester now, he would be my choice of 1 of the 2 we need.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Lets not forget we won't get all the fee, Leicester, depending who you believe are entitled to 10-20% of the sell on fee.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I didn't realise Deeney was available and if he is surely another Premier league club would be interested, like Brighton, for example, it was only 12 months ago Watford doubled his wage to 50k per week to fend off Leicester, a) would he drop to the championship b) could/ would we pay that wage. If he is available surely Burnley would have been better going for him rather than Wood, he has proved he can score in the Premier league. Saying that I'd have him here in a heartbeat.
Where is Ulloa from Leicester now, he would be my choice of 1 of the 2 we need
Still at Leicester struggling to establish a place in their first XI

Would be decent back down at championship level, doubt we could afford him though
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Still at Leicester struggling to establish a place in their first XI

Would be decent back down at championship level, doubt we could afford him though
He hasn't played regular football for a couple of years, wonder if he'd forego some wedge for a regular game, think he'd fit in perfectly here.

Edit; Just checked he's on 40k per week, we can forget him. :cry:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Sky sports news reporting that we are lining up Rhodes as Wood's replacement. The Rhodes of a few years back would certainly fit the bill, but he's lost his way, imo. Maybe a change of club would spark a revival in him, but I'm not convinced. Can see us going foreign, perhaps another unknown. Firmly believe the club will have already been looking at a contingency for Wood going, would expect something to happen over the next week or so.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:He hasn't played regular football for a couple of years, wonder if he'd forego some wedge for a regular game, think he'd fit in perfectly here.

Edit; Just checked he's on 40k per week, we can forget him. :cry:
That's my point mate, all prem players are on 30k minimum so can't see a prem striker coming to Leeds. There's not a lot around in the championship. I still believe we'll sign a couple of European strikers
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Don't get the "Marquee signing" thing.

I would want two guys in, on to play as a lone front man, pref with championship experience even if they dont have a history of 20 goals a season.

I would also want a left winger / forward that could play in both positions.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Two scotsmen I would not have. Rhodes and McCormack... both are passed it
One Scotsman I would have Oli McBurnie because he shaves his hair for a friend
That speaks to me of him being a team player and would fit right in with TC's work ethic
and besides once he grows his hair back he might steal BB's heart away.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Certainly don't want Rhodes or Ross. Both on prem wages anyway.
gessa

Post by gessa »

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
West Yorkshire Sport @WYSdaily
NEWS: @lufc Thomas Christiansen says there'll be news on new arrivals soon, wouldn't be drawn in how many though #lufc
13:02 - 21 Aug 2017 · Yorkshire and The Humber, England

Interesting...arrivals
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd gamble on Jordan Rhodes. I'm a talent not a form guy and Rhodes has talent. Plus I'd get in another from abroad if that's what everyone wants. Roofe played manfully but he's too small to lead the line and Ekuban looks like an attacking mid to me

We certainly need two more plus a CB
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

I also can't see us getting any Premiership player. All would be on around £30k plus easily- in which case we should have just offered it to Woods as he was proven with us. Not a fan of having Ross back. Seems like he is off the pace and a bit of trouble of late. (maybe because he misses Leeds) and again he is on more money than Woods is if I read correctly.
I would have liked Wells from Hudds or Snoddgrass but neither will happen because of the wages.
The best we could hope for is getting another striker from a competitor in our League or from abroad.

I am a fan of Rhodes (of old) he knows how to score in this League and Tammy Abraham looked great but too late there.
I would love the young lad from Swansea (ex Bradford) to get the gig and be a sensation for us, but its just a long shot.

Remind me why we sold Matt Smith?

Can't think of anyone in particular, bit fed up of being in this position of selling and having to make do with what's left.

:-(
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not very excited with the links today :cry:
Jordan Rhodes- been pretty rubbish since leaving Blackburn for Boro, and an expensive risk :tdown:
Chuba Akpom - Never done much whenever hes gone anywhere on loan :duno:
Nakhi Wells- Good player but 10million good, not for me.
Pierre-Michel Lassoga- Was highly rated once, but injury prone never really made it and to similar to Wood, big lumbering target man encourages lump it forward. :tdown:
As for type of forward i liked Ekuban, quite a big lad, strong, worked hard, but with a bit of pace and decent movement, created space for Alioski, Saiz and co. Someone like that for me :-D Dont have to be a big name, Saiz and Alioski wernt big names, and if you have to pay 7mil for Ashley Fletcher in England and can go abroad and get Saiz and Alioski for 6.5mil im happy to have to google the new number 9.
That being said, Nelson Oliveira is my choice, not happy at Norwich apparently, doubt Norwich are paying huge wages so that shouldn't be a problem. Not a small guy so can hold the ball up, few seasons in England under his belt so used to the league, but unlike Wood, bit of pace, likes to drop deep and move out wide which creates space and pulls people out of position. And, he is i think technically better, more suited to continental football which i think TC will want to play :scarf2:
If not him then id prefer some random sod from Europe then any of the other people listed :duno:
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Oliveira gets my vote too mate although I would contest the wage element of your comments above. Norwich were getting parachute money ( may still be ) from the Prem league when they signed him so he is likely to be on a big wage, one that we may not want to stretch too.

But as you rightly said, given he knows this league well now, he's technical ability and the fact he seems to be a very good finisher then definitely my first choice.

Rhodes, Ross and Wells, not for me, none of em !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Gurj wrote:Oliveira gets my vote too mate although I would contest the wage element of your comments above. Norwich were getting parachute money ( may still be ) from the Prem league when they signed him so he is likely to be on a big wage, one that we may not want to stretch too.

But as you rightly said, given he knows this league well now, he's technical ability and the fact he seems to be a very good finisher then definitely my first choice.

Rhodes, Ross and Wells, not for me, none of em !
May have a point about wages didnt think about the para payments :(
Sounds like we are looking abroad according to TCs comments, aslong as its not an injury prone, expensive german thats ok
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Agree again, dont like the look of that Hamburg flop !
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!