Liam Cooper signs new 4 year deal

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Liam Cooper signs new 4 year deal

Post by weasel »

Seems the hierarchy have a higher view of him than most fans.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Liam Cooper signs new 4 year deal

Post by Norm »

He did have one good game recently - I wonder if he's benefitting from TC's coaching. Time will tell I guess.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

no problem with this
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Me neither. Good squad player, steps in when he has to, and if he eradicates the daft mistakes out of his game, there's a good CH in there. Seems popular around the place too, hence his election as skipper for the season opener.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

I'm eagerly awaiting Leon's reaction!! :wink:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:I'm eagerly awaiting Leon's reaction!! :wink:
No problem with Cooper being offered another contract Nick, maybe with proper coaching he'll develop into a decent CB, still unconvinced he is a top six defender until I witness more consistency in his game. I really hope Liam goes on to prove me wrong !
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Still young enough to develop and improve. Good on you LC, keep up the good work and getting better.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

And good luck to him aswell I not only rate Cooper but also the way he gets on with the job. I like the player for what he is and OK ..Championship level could be his level but hold on he may improve and seems to be a top pro MOT.
nickjett
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by nickjett »

weasel wrote:Seems the hierarchy have a higher view of him than most fans.
He may have had a good game defensively, but he just hoofs the ball anywhere!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

As do most second tier back up centre backs to be fair
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

1964white wrote:No problem with Cooper being offered another contract Nick, maybe with proper coaching he'll develop into a decent CB, still unconvinced he is a top six defender until I witness more consistency in his game. I really hope Liam goes on to prove me wrong !
My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek, Leon. I agree re his consistency, but am hopeful that an extended run in the team will help with that, and give him confidence. As I've said before, I believe he loves it here, is happy to be involved and seems popular in the dressing room. Not the worst bit of business we've ever done.
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

Think this is the right move, Cooper has a value to the squad and in the market so may as well tie him in.

O'Kane also signed a new 4 year deal as well having gone into the last year of his original 2 year contract.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I've said before he walks in to half the divisions teams as a starter.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

Having players who can play in a couple of positions especially as squad players is valuable, I am unconvinced anyone would show consistency when either not playing often or as part of some of our back 4's.............
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote:My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek, Leon. I agree re his consistency, but am hopeful that an extended run in the team will help with that, and give him confidence. As I've said before, I believe he loves it here, is happy to be involved and seems popular in the dressing room. Not the worst bit of business we've ever done
Not by any means Nick, we've had much worst at ER
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

lufc1304 wrote:My comment was very much tongue-in-cheek, Leon. I agree re his consistency, but am hopeful that an extended run in the team will help with that, and give him confidence. As I've said before, I believe he loves it here, is happy to be involved and seems popular in the dressing room. Not the worst bit of business we've ever done.
Agree with this he needs a run in the team to make or break him, give him 6 or 7 games we should know by the end of that
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mav wrote:Having players who can play in a couple of positions especially as squad players is valuable, I am unconvinced anyone would show consistency when either not playing often or as part of some of our back 4's.............
Cooper played :

29 times in 2014/15
39 times in 2015/16

He only played 11 times last season because of his previous inconsistency which made Monk go into the transfer market & sign Bartley & Jansson who were both an upgrade on Liam

If TC doesn't feel he requires another CB & goes with Cooper & Pontus at the back this will be the time for him to stand up & be counted. As I've already posted previously I'm not getting carried away with his excellent performance v Bolton as I've often witnessed Coops have a stinker after a good game in the past