Elland Road Buy Back....CONFIRMED!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

We now own the ground again!
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

Stadium returns to the club.
Leeds United are delighted to announce that Greenfield Investment Pte Ltd, an Aser Group company and parent company of Leeds United Football Club Limited, has completed the purchase of Elland Road Stadium.
The Old Peacock Ground has been our home since 1919 and today's announcement will see the stadium return to the club for the first time since it was sold in 2004, during a period of financial difficulty.
Speaking on this historical acquisition, Chairman Andrea Radrizzani said: “Today is an important day in our history and a proud day for me and my team.
“When I met with both management and supporters during my first few months at the club, the purchase of Elland Road was very high on their list of priorities and I'm delighted to be able to announce that we have completed that process today.”
Leader of Leeds City Council, Councillor Judith Blake also commented on the purchase of Elland Road, stating: “It is fantastic news that the club have confirmed the buy-back of Elland Road Stadium.
“This is an extremely positive step in the right direction for everyone associated with Leeds United and especially the club’s tremendous and loyal fans.
“As we prepare for the new season to begin in August, I very much welcome the intent being shown by Andrea to move the club forward with real purpose and ambition.”
Work to improve and update Elland Road has already begun and will be completed by the start of the season.
We will keep supporters regularly updated with these actions throughout the summer.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Elland Road Buy Back....CONFIRMED!

Post by 1964white »

Beat me to it Durly

Great news !

Radz promised he would buy the ground, he must have some money in his coffers

A rent-free future for LUFC :-D
abundegas
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by abundegas »

Does anyone know why it's the parent company, and not Leeds United Football Club Limited that has bought ER? The cynic in me wonders whether that means that in the future the club can be sold separately to the stadium, and we'd be back where we were. On the plus side, certainly a statement of intent from AR.
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Wow! What a piece of News.. and it's not Fake either. Well I never saw this coming and want to say I'm thrilled and very excited I think I'll have another glass . This is a massive relief and step into the hopefully better future for all. Well played Mr. Radizanni . (Andrea).
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Excellent news and deffo makes it easier for us to compete with other clubs now as we don't have nearly £2m wiped out of our 'fair play' kitty any more. Also looks like he has fostered a good relationship with the council and has huge plans for the area surrounding the stadium including training facilities. Am guessing he pushed the deal through quickly as he needed to make sure he had the ground before purchasing the extra land around ER.

Whilst some may scoff I feel huge thanks are owed to Massimo Cellino as he took on an awful mess at Leeds and whilst he may not have had the finances to turn us around completely himself he put us in a position where we were able to attract someone like AR. I don't for one minute see AR as the type of person that would have looked at buying Leeds from Bates or GFH due to the ridiculous messes they had us in and all the hidden debts. Even if he had expressed an interest I would have expected him to have walked away after due diligence had been carried out.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

abundegas wrote:Does anyone know why it's the parent company, and not Leeds United Football Club Limited that has bought ER? The cynic in me wonders whether that means that in the future the club can be sold separately to the stadium, and we'd be back where we were. On the plus side, certainly a statement of intent from AR.
At present I wouldn't be concerned as the same parent company owns both LU and ER. Usually with the shyster owners the club is owned by one company and the ground by the other, rather than both by the same company, so that if the club was to go into liquidation/bankruptcy then the ground wouldn't be considered an asset. This is basically what happened to Stockport County where the owner separated the club from the ground and then sold the ground to his rugby club, Sale Sharks, for nothing whilst the football club rotted away and had to pay rent to use the ground that was theirs.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Didn't expect this to happen so soon.

AR=Money Where Mouth Is

Fantastic news.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
paddy parrott
Manager
Manager

Post by paddy parrott »

Yeah and even Ol' Bates must be impressed!
NorfolkWhite
Manager
Manager

Post by NorfolkWhite »

weasel wrote:Excellent news and deffo makes it easier for us to compete with other clubs now as we don't have nearly £2m wiped out of our 'fair play' kitty any more. Also looks like he has fostered a good relationship with the council and has huge plans for the area surrounding the stadium including training facilities. Am guessing he pushed the deal through quickly as he needed to make sure he had the ground before purchasing the extra land around ER.

Whilst some may scoff I feel huge thanks are owed to Massimo Cellino as he took on an awful mess at Leeds and whilst he may not have had the finances to turn us around completely himself he put us in a position where we were able to attract someone like AR. I don't for one minute see AR as the type of person that would have looked at buying Leeds from Bates or GFH due to the ridiculous messes they had us in and all the hidden debts. Even if he had expressed an interest I would have expected him to have walked away after due diligence had been carried out.
Agree with you 100% on MC, needed someone as mad as him to just jump in and buy Us, you know you've had some dark times when Pappa Smurf has owned your club and he wasn't the worst owner you've had by quite a stretch!

Fantastic news on ER, saw a comment on Twitter that we appear to be becoming a normal football club....surely not :lol:
Durly
First Team
First Team

Post by Durly »

abundegas wrote:Does anyone know why it's the parent company, and not Leeds United Football Club Limited that has bought ER? The cynic in me wonders whether that means that in the future the club can be sold separately to the stadium, and we'd be back where we were. On the plus side, certainly a statement of intent from AR.
Something to do with keeping the leeches that are GFH at arms length. It was reported recently that, if the club bought the ground back directly, that GFH would own a percentage of it (think it was 25%).
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

weasel wrote:Excellent news and deffo makes it easier for us to compete with other clubs now as we don't have nearly £2m wiped out of our 'fair play' kitty any more. Also looks like he has fostered a good relationship with the council and has huge plans for the area surrounding the stadium including training facilities. Am guessing he pushed the deal through quickly as he needed to make sure he had the ground before purchasing the extra land around ER.

My thoughts exactly
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Here Here Weasel, well said. Without MC this new dawn wouldn't be anywhere close. A hearty thank you to MC for, yes, saving this club.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Very much so Weasel......we were in a right old financial mess when Cellino took on LUFC

Over the years MC has stabilised the club giving us the opportunity to attract the likes of Radz to purchase Leeds United

Bates stitched us up with GFH :x

Cellino gave us Radrizzani :-D
gessa

Post by gessa »

Excellent news, at last we look as though we are a proper run football club again.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Agree with you guys.
If anyone ever doubted MC's good heart toward the club, despite being treated like sh*t by those short-sighted TTGM people and those who called him a crook, even when he wasn't, what does he do - he gives us Radrizzani, obviously also a man of integrity.
Best owner since Silver and maybe better than him in the end. Best wishes to you MC - if I wore a hat I'd take it off to you.

Now all we need is for someone to dispose of GFH. It seems evident that no-one so far could rid us of these meddlesome leeches.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Fantastic news
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Great news, and concur with everyone suggesting MC is owed a debt of thanks. Norfolk White put it well when he said we needed someone as mad as Cellino to sort out the mess. He made some bad decisions, and decisions that were hard to swallow, but he got us to the point where someone like AR wanted to buy us. For that, I say "Grazie Mille, Massimo!"
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
MissSurreyWhite
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by MissSurreyWhite »

Great news and real tangible progress.
It feels like Mr Radrizzani is building the club back piece by piece.
Great to have the Ladies team back home too.

Starting to feel like a proper big club again.
MOT
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

Andrea Radrizzani song of appreciation. Congratulations on a job well done.