Great news for Overseas LUFC fans

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Great news for Overseas LUFC fans

Post by Gurj »

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/ef ... 03898.aspx

Leeds are one of only 11 of the 72 EFL clubs to Opt OUT of this however is is expected that this is because they will be running this service themselves via an enhanced LUTV offering. So to summarise anyone abroad, will be able to watch virtually every single leeds game next season for around £110.

The fans in the UK, well whisper this quietly of course but I am sure many of these streams will find themselves on to Kodi for people in this country to view..................
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: Great news for Overseas LUFC fans

Post by lufc1304 »

Gurj wrote:http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/ef ... 03898.aspx

Leeds are one of only 11 of the 72 EFL clubs to Opt OUT of this however is is expected that this is because they will be running this service themselves via an enhanced LUTV offering. So to summarise anyone abroad, will be able to watch virtually every single leeds game next season for around £110.

The fans in the UK, well whisper this quietly of course but I am sure many of these streams will find themselves on to Kodi for people in this country to view..................
:wink: :tup:
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
beer belly bert
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by beer belly bert »

Excellent news that I'm in Spain August till Xmas and will definitely be trying a way of sourcing it, wow that's cheered me up no end :P
I could stop drinking but im not a quitter
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

It won't help me because, no matter who provides the service, my 4th world internet connection would not handle the bandwidth, but I'm pleased that a solution is mooted for most others.

Now, if only I can get them to allow me a timed and dated temporary download for the same price!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Gurj wrote: So to summarise anyone abroad, will be able to watch virtually every single leeds game next season for around £110.
I'm in!

Maybe I'll get to type "YYYEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!" on VLR before everyone else for a change.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gurj wrote:http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/ef ... 03898.aspx

I'm confused, how can we use this for 110 pounds if Leeds opt out of it. The LUTV offering may be very different.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
gessa

Post by gessa »

HarryofOz wrote:I'm confused, how can we use this for 110 pounds if Leeds opt out of it. The LUTV offering may be very different.

I'd be surprised if Leeds did it for £110 per season Harry, when there was talk of this year's back, the figure was nearer £10 per game.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

gessa wrote:I'd be surprised if Leeds did it for £110 per season Harry, when there was talk of this year's back, the figure was nearer £10 per game.
Cheers Ges
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Given AR's background in Media Rights I am sure he has done his sums and knows Leeds can make a hell of a lot more than the money Shaun Harvey and his cronies would give us as no doubt we'd get the same as all the other championship teams regardless of how many overseas fans signed up to the EFL thing to watch Leeds - I can't see there being anywhere near as many Burton fans living abroad as Leeds fan for example but yet I'm sure we'd both receive the same dividend of cash from the EFL

This could potentially be huge for the club given our worldwide fanbase and really give us an advantage. In the past we have seen teams like Bournemouth for example shoot past us due to an owner throwing millions at them, buying them a new stadium etc. This would no longer matter to a large degree as no matter how much money a new owner could throw at a team he can't suddenly get them a worldwide fanbase like we have. For example we have a great support in Scandinavia and say 50,000 fans there signed up at £100 per fan - that would give the club £5m and that could just be the tip of the iceberg as this season will have stirred the dragon and a lot of overseas fans who had largely got to the point of ignoring Leeds have had their interest rekindled. If the club could get 500,000 fans paying £100 then whoosh £50m into club coffers - and that could be the tip of the iceberg. Very easy to see how Sky can pay billions on the back of selling tv rights all over the world and getting billions of people paying £30 per month to see premiership football and also why MU want to get individual tv rights. If this takes off we could actually earn a lot more money by being in the championship instead of the premiership.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I know you like to paint a rosy picture but 50,000 in Scandanavia, really?
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

HarryofOz wrote:I'm confused, how can we use this for 110 pounds if Leeds opt out of it. The LUTV offering may be very different.
Fair comment Harry. Leeds have opted out yes, along with likes of Villa, Birmingham City, Wolves and a few others.

Your correct that there is no guarantee Leeds will charge the same amount but can you imagine the outcry ( and rightly so in my opinion ) if we asked our fans to pay say something daft like double that !! I would say worst case, we cant be charging more than £150 for a streaming season ticket.
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

gessa wrote:I know you like to paint a rosy picture but 50,000 in Scandanavia, really?
I agree, not a cat in hell's chance of that many people subscribing. We have to be realistic in that what will probably happen is some people will subscribe and they will get friends round to watch at houses etc. 50,000 individuals paying separate subs wont happen.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gurj wrote:Fair comment Harry. Leeds have opted out yes, along with likes of Villa, Birmingham City, Wolves and a few others.

Your correct that there is no guarantee Leeds will charge the same amount but can you imagine the outcry ( and rightly so in my opinion ) if we asked our fans to pay say something daft like double that !! I would say worst case, we cant be charging more than £150 for a streaming season ticket.
Fair point, I hope you are right
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote:I know you like to paint a rosy picture but 50,000 in Scandanavia, really?
Okay might be a tad optimistic in terms of 50,000 fans in Scandinavia all currently willing to subscribe but I would definitely say there would be at least 50,000 Leeds fans in Scandinavia.

It was more just an example of the earning potential and I could definitely see 50,000 fans worldwide that would be willing to subscribe at £100 per season and that is £5m into club coffers (have kept the maths simple at £100 and likewise there would be outlay costs etc but an initial £5m clear profit is not an outlandish sum).
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Don't think the figure will be anywhere near that high. The article says there are only an estimated 270 thousand efl fans based outside the UK. I doubt a fifth of those are Leeds fans, let alone 50,000 subscribing.

Plus it means there will probably be lots of online streams available...
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

EFL are idiots though. With clubs like us, Villa, Birmingham, Forest etc there will be millions of fans living abroad - I am not just talking of english people that have moved abroad but people that have grown up watching the English game and being fans of english clubs. Yes they won't be walking the streets wearing club colours as sports shops will likely just sell the likes of MU, MC, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and maybe Tottenham shirts but they will still be fans. No surprise that it is us, Villa etc that have all opted out as there is much more potential earnings than simply taking an equal share when the EFL divide up the cash (take their huge cut) and hand it out.

Would you rather have a guy (AR) who has made billions selling media rights to sporting events all over the world being in charge of this for Leeds or the f*ckwits at the EFL who are seriously suggesting that the 72 clubs in the EFL only have a combined 270,000 fans outside the UK?
MeeTa
Manager
Manager
Twitter: @EirikOstrem

Post by MeeTa »

Its only Scum and Liverpool with a significantly higher fan base in Scandinavia than Leeds, think Arsenal is slightly above us aswell. Roughly 5000 paying members of the official Norwegian supporter club, reckon anywhere from 15-25k fans in scandy, a few thousand Leeds fans in scandinavia will pay for this service tho im sure.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

Gurj wrote:The fans in the UK, well whisper this quietly of course but I am sure many of these streams will find themselves on to Kodi for people in this country to view..................
THe EFL package won't be a stream, it will be a private network, much like the beamback of the Burton game, which wasn't available on Kodi.
If Rad wants to put out his own version on LUTV, then he seriously needs to upgrade the service, as LUTV can't currently handle radio commentary without falling over.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I hope AR gets a completely new team to do the website too because it has been shockingly bad for ages with players not having their photos up and generally news appearing elsewhere before it is on the website. If I want to check out the latest news regarding Leeds then the Official Website would probably be about 5th in the order of Leeds related sites I would check.