Wednesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Wednesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

Post by 1964white »

Are you still happy with the appointment of Gary Monk ?

If the results don't go the way we hope for in our next two home matches v Huddersfield & Blackburn, could we be looking at a Uwe Rosler scenario ?

How will our fans react if we don't bag a win v the Terriers & Rovers
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Re: Wednesday's Breakfast Quickfire Debate

Post by rich_leeds64 »

Win,lose or draw we must stick with Monk, no manager in the world can build a good solid team after only a handful of games. We have a reasonable squad we just need them to gel and that can only come in time. Monk IN :tup:
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote:Are you still happy with the appointment of Gary Monk ?

If the results don't go the way we hope for in our next two home matches v Huddersfield & Blackburn, could we be looking at a Uwe Rosler scenario ?

I couldn't believe what I was reading last night elsewhere, with people saying it should be goodbye to Monk if we lose on Saturday, how someone can be expected to be judged on 7 games is unreal,things aren't great at the moment but we have a lot of new players who will need time to gel, we could easily be starting the game on Saturday with 8 players who are new additions, I don't think all his signings are doing the business but I doubt any team would have so many new players and they would all work out. I just hope he isn't pig headed and picks his signings even if they're not playing well, just to try and save face, he has dropped Grimes after a couple of woeful performances so hopefully it won't be the case, I think he's dropped a clanger signing Green and he is one who I have a feeling he will continue with no matter what. Now he has a new CB hopefully that will improve the defence and with the energy of O'Kane and Bridcutt in the middle it will give others the chance to get forward more and we can start playing the style of football he likes, then we can start to judge him. Strange how many people and rightly so, slag off Cellino for his record of sacking managers, yet some want a manager gone after only a handful of games.

Not sure how Cellino will react if we lose both games but the writing may be on the wall if we do. A lot could depend if he is about to sell the club, will he want the hassle if he's going to be out of here in the near future.

A lot of fans seem to be dreading the game Saturday, with Hudds flying high and with us misfiring,, losing is bad enough but to local rivals makes it just that little bit worse. A loss to Blackburn would be a massive blow as they look destined to be in and around the bottom 3, 2 defeats would plant us firmly in the bottom 3 ourselves but lets be positive and say 2 wins will put us in the top half of the table and we can look forward from there.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

What gessa said - I'm too hung over for cogency.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Norm wrote:What gessa said - I'm too hung over for cogency.
They don't get any easier do they Norm.

THUD THUD THUD!!!!
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I am happy with the appointment, but I was also happy with Evans, so lets see how we fair later in the season.
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

rich_leeds64 wrote:Win,lose or draw we must stick with Monk, no manager in the world can build a good solid team after only a handful of games. We have a reasonable squad we just need them to gel and that can only come in time. Monk IN :tup:
Agree :tup:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I think Monk is the best appointment we could hope for going by Cellino's previous track record although I still insist Evans did a decent job stabilising our club last season

We could indeed as one would expect us to attain at least four points from these two home games. We know how MC reacts so anything less than three points could send our club in disarray once again

Our fans won't be happy :(
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Yes, okay some results have been disappointing but the tea has shown potential. The key to me is whether the team performances look to be improving and generally they are - we still need to sort out the giving away of soft goals as this is happening too often and completely changes the complexion of the game and how we play etc. If you take away the early goals conceded v QPR and Forest and even Birmingham then perhaps we play better and as the game wears on become the better side as we did v Sheff Wed. Monk needs to show he has the ability to stop these soft concessions, whether it is by using different players or even changing how we defend corners, i.e. go zonal instead of man marking at corners.

Yes because our fans have already shown how quickly they can turn on a manager, quicker than Cellino does. Cellino then seems to panic and react to the chants and sacks the manager in an attempt to placate the noisy minority of fans. Changing the manager continually will mean we never get a settled side that can gel and will always get inconsistent performances like we saw under Evans.

They will turn on both Cellino and Monk and as a result poison the atmosphere at ER effectively gifting the opposition wins by making our players afraid to play at ER.
Gandalf
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gandalf »

I can see similarities between Monk and Rosler. The latter brought in a marquee signing (Wood), Monk brought in Roofe. Both had to implement a new style, with a large turnover of players. Both started poorly, but then produced an excellent away result, Rosler at Derby, Monk at Wendies. When Rosler's results returned to normal, the loony was quick to get rid. Let's hope that the same doesn't happen to Monk and he is given some time, but I'm not holding my breath.
Delapsus Resurgam - When I fall I shall rise!
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Gandalf wrote:I can see similarities between Monk and Rosler. The latter brought in a marquee signing (Wood), Monk brought in Roofe. Both had to implement a new style, with a large turnover of players. Both started poorly, but then produced an excellent away result, Rosler at Derby, Monk at Wendies. When Rosler's results returned to normal, the loony was quick to get rid. Let's hope that the same doesn't happen to Monk and he is given some time, but I'm not holding my breath.
Absolutely Spot on Gandi. I have grave fears for Monk if we lose on Saturday :-( which is daft given how few games he will have had but MC is too trigger happy as we well know by now.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Not much for me to add, save that I too am happy with the appointment of Monk. He needs at least half a season, if not a full season before we rush to judgement. Particularly with the changes in the playing staff. Will he get that time from Cellino and a section of our support who think we should win every game 5-0 simply because we are Leeds Utd? Probably not, but maybe, just maybe, the Italian leopard has changed his spots.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Yes, best manager we've had in at least since Grayson.

I hope that Cellino doesn't listen to the hysterics, and get rid of him like what happened to Rosler.

The fans will react with knees firmly jerked, wringing of hands, much wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Like they always do.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Crude wrote:Yes, best manager we've had in at least since Grayson.

I hope that Cellino doesn't listen to the hysterics, and get rid of him like what happened to Rosler.

The fans will react with knees firmly jerked, wringing of hands, much wailing, and gnashing of teeth. Like they always do.

well waccoe will
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I seem to remember MC saying teams should not play for a draw from the start, then ER doing that in the next game and losing it.

That is why I felt he was sacked.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

Yes 100%, it's a fantastic appointment results wise it's not been great results wise so far ( However, lets be realistic our first 5 games: QPR (a), Birmingham (h), Fulham (h), Sheffield Wednesday (a) and Nottingham Forest (a) The best case realistic scenario from that run of games is 6 points imo we have 4 so we are hardly well below target and we have a chance of going on a cup run. Performance wise in all but one game (vs QPR) we have played better (in some cases much better) than the majority of performances we saw last season.
I am not sure about Garry Monk's signings tbh, however, Monk is NOT to blame in my opinion. From what I have read (could be wrong) we have spent £7.85 million this transfer window (don't forget we also sold Lewis Cook for around £7 million and sold Sloth and Bianchi. With the prices for Championship players £7.85 million (look at how much Villa spent) is not enough to buy what we needed. Monk has had very little choice but to go for quantity. Now I am not expecting us to spend what Villa have spent but I do think it is a reasonable expectation to not have a negative net spend on transfers and according to my calculations we still have a negative net spend on transfers since 2014.
Lets give Garry time the top target this season is the top 10 and seeing a better brand of football imo.

Look at Barnsley last season on the 28th November they were bottom of the table but were playing well and because they gave a very promising manager Lee Johnson (just like Garry Monk is) time they turned it around Barnsley's performances were still at a good level but they changed things tactically and were able to start winning games. It is proof that younger managers need time when things go badly of course you have to draw a line at some point and sack a promising manager if results become really really bad, however, it has not even slightly come close to reaching that stage yet.
Had Rosler been given more time, I honestly believe we would be pushing for the play off places now as it would be his second season and players such as: Cook and maybe even Byram would still be at the club imo look at the league one table and where Fleetwood are in the table. We cannot afford to make the same mistake with Garry Monk, look at Swansea they are in a far worse position now than when they sacked Garry.

If we take less than 3 points I think it might be a little bit negative, however, I would hope that our fans are going to get behind Garry.
I am hoping for 2 good performances and if we can get 2 wins that would be excellent.
If you offered me 6 points from our next 3 games I would definitely take 6 points.