QPR v Leeds - Team News/Reports/Ratings....

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: QPR v Leeds - Team News/Reports/Ratings....

Post by The Subhuman »

Also I don't remember Wood taking a FK but I did lose stream twice for a minute each to refresh
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

faaip wrote:Really? Antonsson chasing down lost causes, Roofe and Sacko running at defenders, Dallas running the full length of the pitch ending up 2 yards from the keeper making his clearance. We didn't get Bamba charging up the middle every 5 minutes I agree but I don't want that..and Wood moves like an oil tanker. Maybe a little lacking in movement (running) off the ball but we started two DMF one of which was in his second game and Grimes was invisible..Dallas also had a poor game.

Passing will come once we're settled which we're not yet.
Running off the ball is what I meant. We can't play a speedy counter-attacking game if nobody moves in anticipation.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

faaip wrote:Were you there or TV? because Antonsson' chances were not guilt edged. Great run to get onto a great pass and a half chance snap shot most premier strikers would have missed while the defender charges you dow. I'd suggest much higher rated players would have missed those let alone a player making his debut in an unfamiliar league. Why wasn't that Wood in those two positions as our premier forward player?
antonssen was one on one with no defender anywhere near him...? An open goal is the only way the chance could have been more guilt edged! Agree his running and movement was good though.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

pushed wide by the defender who was within a yard or two and the keeper narrowed the angle well, he could have tried taking it round the keeper but probably would have failed or a lob..difficult to be that cute first time in the championship...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

drsdadsotherson wrote:Running off the ball is what I meant. We can't play a speedy counter-attacking game if nobody moves in anticipation.

that sort of thing comes with practice and familiarity, this is a new team nearly with a new manager. Thought the work rate was generally good overall
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The first half was a horror show with the same calamitous defending/keeping as last year. Like already mentioned we had no clue when we had possession and the movement off the ball was poor to non-existent. A couple of poor decisions management wise to start Berardi who had missed all pre-season and wasn't match sharp (would have thought it made more sense to play him v Fleetwood with a view to him then being match fit for the following league match) and Grimes who was non-existent in the no.10 role - personally thought Mowatt would have been champing at the bit to play in his best position and would have been wanting to make it impossible for the manager to drop him for Hernandez.

Second half was much better and an even game. Who knows what might have happened if their player had been deservedly sent off when it was 1-0. Certainly would have been game on and would likely have seen QPR going very defensive. 2nd goal was soft, minimal contact,and the player was looking for the penalty. Vieira will learn from that because at professional level players know how to win these soft penalties by looking for contact and going down rather than actually being fouled. The third goal again was soft with Coyle losing out physically to their striker, again with experience he will do better. For me all 3 of our subs did well. Coyle was steady, apart from the goal, Sacko looked dangerous albeit his final ball needs work and Antonnson showed why he has scored goals as he got himself into the position. Unlucky with the first as he was on his weaker foot which is probably why he didn't go round the keeper - it was certainly not as easy as people are making out as he had a very narrow gap to aim at in getting the ball past the keeper. His second chance impressed me as his awareness to get into the position and first touch were excellent and he was unlucky to smash it over - he had little to aim at and went with power - sometimes they go in like QPR's third which was just a smash it as hard as you can finish.
Main disappointment was the midfield (given that we have come to expect the defence to be sh*te). Dave and Grimes were abysmal. I really hoped Dave would step up to the plate in his preferred position but now am firmly hoping we get Bridcutt asap. Roofe was a little disappointing as he got bullied too easily by QPR defenders but did show a couple of glimpses of what he can do.

All in all though we don't need to go over the top. It was one bad half (and in the perverse world of football we actually did worse when playing better in the second half) and the last time we got promoted from this division we also lost by 3 goals in the first match of the season - hopefully an omen. It will take time for the team to gel, new faces and yet another new manager with new ideas.tactics/formations etc.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

All the old failings of last season returned in 90 minutes of our first match

Poor defending
Lack of movement & pace
Our play is so predictable
Midfield overrun
Own goal
Giving a penalty away
Soft 3rd goal
Got lucky twice as the ball came back off the post, could have been 3 down at hail-time
Keeper flapping
Poor kicking from our keeper
Limited chances missing a one on one
Not making their keeper work once as we didn't hit the target in the whole game
Our No.9 still looks a plank, won two headers in 90 minutes as oppose to the Hoops centre-forward who was a real handful, does help when you can turn & run with the ball
Manager picking the wrong team. Why select Berardi when he hasn't played one pre-season game, obviously not match-fit. Why was Roofe played on the wing. Monk is totally the opposite to Evans, rarely took his hands out of his pocket apart from to fold his arms, showed no emotion or influence from the sidelines as he stood in his dugout like a lemon with his jumper on in 24% degrees temperature.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

All the old failings of last season returned in 90 minutes of our first match

Poor defending
Lack of movement & pace
Our play is so predictable
Midfield overrun
Own goal
Giving a penalty away
Soft 3rd goal
Got lucky twice as the ball came back off the post, could have been 3 down at hail-time
Keeper flapping
Poor kicking from our keeper
Limited chances missing a one on one
Not making their keeper work once as we didn't hit the target in the whole game
Our No.9 still looks a plank, won two headers in 90 minutes as oppose to the Hoops centre-forward who was a real handful, does help when you can turn & run with the ball
Manager picking the wrong team.
Why select Berardi when he hasn't played one pre-season game, obviously not match-fit. Why was Roofe played on the wing. Monk is totally the opposite to Evans, rarely took his hands out of his pocket apart from to fold his arms, showed no emotion or influence from the sidelines as he stood in his dugout like a lemon with his jumper on in 24% degrees temperature.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Green - 5
Berardi - 4 - Coyle - 6
Bamba - 4
Bartley - 6
Taylor - 5
Diagouraga - 2
Vieira - 6
Grimes - 2 - Antonsson - 6
Dallas - 4
Roofe - 5 - Sacko - 6
Wood - 2
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I did say we'd suffer without Bridcutt in our engine-room

Diagouraga is not the answer

Brentford didn't want him, not good enough !!
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I'll take the positives out of the game, as everyone else has pointed out the obvious negatives.

- I like the look of Bartley. Although I do see issues arising in the future with Bamba and which one of them is the leader.
- Viera's passing is top notch, I'd rather see him a bit further up playing those balls through the lines.
- Antonsson looks handy. I know he missed a couple of chances, but his runs and positional sense were on point.
- Coyle did really well and to be honest although he made a meal of the last goal, the CB should have cleared it before it made it that far.

Bring on the next game and we will see what happens. Hopefully the tactical choices will be better...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kyle_5351 wrote:I'll take the positives out of the game, as everyone else has pointed out the obvious negatives.

- I like the look of Bartley. Although I do see issues arising in the future with Bamba and which one of them is the leader.
- Viera's passing is top notch, I'd rather see him a bit further up playing those balls through the lines.
- Antonsson looks handy. I know he missed a couple of chances, but his runs and positional sense were on point.
- Coyle did really well and to be honest although he made a meal of the last goal, the CB should have cleared it before it made it that far.

Bring on the next game and we will see what happens. Hopefully the tactical choices will be better...
4 out of the 14 players on the pitch :shock:

That's why we lost the game badly to an average side Kyle
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

1964white wrote:4 out of the 14 players on the pitch :shock:

That's why we lost the game badly to an average side Kyle
Not debating whether we were good enough, mate. We weren't, but I was going for a different angle :tup:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

A sobering result that brought us back to reality. Too many fans were looking at the quantity of signings we were making and not the quality.

So many of our team looked so far off the pace yesterday, some like Grimes simply rabbits in headlights. Considering it was the first game of the season, you would thought they would at least show more passion but there was literally nothing yesterday.
I was at QPR last year for this fixture, and thought that was awful, this was even worse :-(
Still so little pace and movement in this side its untrue.

Only players who I would say did reasonably OK were Bartley, Coyle and Viera and Sakho on he's cameo performance off the bench.

Big Dave, Bamba, Dallas and Wood so poor, although some could argue what service does the big man get in the box ?!

I think young Roofe was also given a shock yesterday as to how much of a step up the Championship is from League 2.

Have to say I was disappointed in Monk's comments when he denied that we were overun in the first half. Yes, I know he has to be seen to protect he's players but please dont try to pull the wool over our eyes when its so obvious Garry.

Fleetwood on Wednesday should see several changes. Hopefully the Spanish lad will have clearance by then.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

QPR looked a decent team, they should be a threat and don't forget had they won the games they had under control last season they'd probably be in the premiership, they're certainly not an average team. They were at home, they had the referee. They are a more settled team.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:Also I don't remember Wood taking a FK but I did lose stream twice for a minute each to refresh
He shouldn't be taking them at all
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I thought we lost the game in central midfield - Viera, Grimes and Toumy were all poor today.

Dallas, Roofe and Wood were all fairly anonymous.

Taylor was terrible too, lost count of his mistakes.

I was however Impressed with Bartley, Sacko and Antonsson.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

faaip wrote:QPR looked a decent team, they should be a threat and don't forget had they won the games they had under control last season they'd probably be in the premiership, they're certainly not an average team. They were at home, they had the referee. They are a more settled team.
This. Early doors, of course, but QPR look a decent side, and I expect them to be in and around the top six this season. Half of our team has changed since the opening fixture of last season. The old adage is that you learn more in defeat than you do in victory, so hopefully Monk has and things will change. No need to panic
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

1964white wrote:All the old failings of last season returned in 90 minutes of our first match

Manager picking the wrong team.
Why select Berardi when he hasn't played one pre-season game, obviously not match-fit. Why was Roofe played on the wing. Monk is totally the opposite to Evans, rarely took his hands out of his pocket apart from to fold his arms, showed no emotion or influence from the sidelines as he stood in his dugout like a lemon with his jumper on in 24% degrees temperature.
To be fair Leon I can see why Berardi was selected, both right backs who played at Atlanta were not convincing at all last week (Perico and Coyle) which probably led to Berardi being rushed back in, I didn't think Gaetano looked that unfit.
Roofe is without doubt a better player when he isn't given a specific position a little bit like (to a much lesser extent) Messi. Roofe is the type of player who is effective in any of the 3 attacking positions behind Wood (left wing, number 10 or right wing)
You could tell on TV that Monk had given them the hairdryer treatment at half time and he is passionate on the touchline maybe not as much as Evans, however, that really doesn't concern me. Enrique, Pep and Ancelotti are 3 good examples of being great managers who are fairly calm while the game is taking place. Yesterday was poor, however, I saw us play worse than that under Evans in at least 5-6 games last season :shock: .
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

weasel wrote:The first half was a horror show with the same calamitous defending/keeping as last year. Like already mentioned we had no clue when we had possession and the movement off the ball was poor to non-existent. A couple of poor decisions management wise to start Berardi who had missed all pre-season and wasn't match sharp (would have thought it made more sense to play him v Fleetwood with a view to him then being match fit for the following league match) and Grimes who was non-existent in the no.10 role - personally thought Mowatt would have been champing at the bit to play in his best position and would have been wanting to make it impossible for the manager to drop him for Hernandez.

Second half was much better and an even game. Who knows what might have happened if their player had been deservedly sent off when it was 1-0. Certainly would have been game on and would likely have seen QPR going very defensive. 2nd goal was soft, minimal contact,and the player was looking for the penalty. Vieira will learn from that because at professional level players know how to win these soft penalties by looking for contact and going down rather than actually being fouled. The third goal again was soft with Coyle losing out physically to their striker, again with experience he will do better. For me all 3 of our subs did well. Coyle was steady, apart from the goal, Sacko looked dangerous albeit his final ball needs work and Antonnson showed why he has scored goals as he got himself into the position. Unlucky with the first as he was on his weaker foot which is probably why he didn't go round the keeper - it was certainly not as easy as people are making out as he had a very narrow gap to aim at in getting the ball past the keeper. His second chance impressed me as his awareness to get into the position and first touch were excellent and he was unlucky to smash it over - he had little to aim at and went with power - sometimes they go in like QPR's third which was just a smash it as hard as you can finish.
Main disappointment was the midfield (given that we have come to expect the defence to be sh*te). Dave and Grimes were abysmal. I really hoped Dave would step up to the plate in his preferred position but now am firmly hoping we get Bridcutt asap. Roofe was a little disappointing as he got bullied too easily by QPR defenders but did show a couple of glimpses of what he can do.

All in all though we don't need to go over the top. It was one bad half (and in the perverse world of football we actually did worse when playing better in the second half) and the last time we got promoted from this division we also lost by 3 goals in the first match of the season - hopefully an omen. It will take time for the team to gel, new faces and yet another new manager with new ideas.tactics/formations etc.
I do think Antonsson should have scored at least 1 of his 2 chances, however, other than that your comments are spot on as usual :tup:.
As you mentioned the 1989/90 season saw us start poorly losing 5-2 at Newcastle and then only winning 1 out our next 4 games after that (I haven't remembered that by the way I have looked that up on a Leeds stats site :lol:.) Lets give Monk the time we didn't give Rosler if one of the 3 big chances for us had fallen to Wood we would have scored, if Gladwin had been deservedly sent off and if we could try and only make 1 defensive mistake a game instead of 2-3 (or how about none at all :lol: ) we would have got something out of the game. The defeat had little to do with Monk's tactics.