EU.....In or Out - RESULT

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

EU.....In or Out - RESULT

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Please try to keep the immigration shouting to a minimum! :lol:

We've got leaflets and headlines and scare tactics flying all over at the moment regarding our place in the EU. Let's face it, the people who talk to us all are generally either one-issue screechers or those with a vested interest in the outcome. None of these people are going to tell us the whole truth, even if they know it themselves. I've got my thoughts about it all but I don't know nearly enough to make a totally informed decision, and I expect that's the situation for all of us!

At the time of writing my vote will be to remain in the EU. This is why.

1) I like having close relationships with our geographical neighbours. Spats such as the Gibraltar issue with Spain will be harder to resolve if we are outside of the club.
2) Easier cooperation with international police forces improves everybody's security. Sure it's not perfect, but it never will be. It's simply better.
3) The period of 'uncertainty' holds one utter certainty... That is that the financial sector and multinationals will be the ones grabbing hold of the promised 'opportunities' and using it to swell their own coffers at the expense of 99.5% of the population. Think about how much our economic growth has affected us so far - not one jot. The promised trickle-down is simply not happening because the monies are being stashed or paid out to the few in the Tory's circle of friends.
4) We import a huge amount from the EU. If we leave we will still import a huge amount from the EU, but it will be more expensive. Can you really see countries like France, Italy and Spain giving us the same benefits to trade we have now? They'll shaft us like we were Englebert Humperdinck in Eurovision. The upshot of this is that the cost of living will rise yet again, the govt will tax imports more highly and our exports will be subject to tariffs making them more expensive on the continent and therefore harder to sell. We have virtually no manufacturing industry worth speaking of to maintain internal supply strong enough to meet demand.
5) Our border is already the best protected in the EU by virtue of us being an island. Our border security will not significantly change in or out of the EU.
6) The European Space Agency. It's cool. Would this be affected? I don't know, but I'd like to remain a part of it.
7) If we left we would be able to structure and implement all our own laws without having to answer to any other nation. Given what the Tories have been up to, do we really want that autonomy in their hands?
8) Scientific and cultural exchange is a good thing that the EU facilitates. It would still go on outside the EU, sure, but not as easily.
9) I don't want to be more reliant on the USA. Our dependency on them would naturally increase if we left the EU and if they were to trigger/suffer another financial collapse it would be FAR preferable to have an EU safety net to minimise the impact. President Trump anyone?

Well done if you read all that! Any thoughts, rebuttals etc welcomed, because I know there will be many things that I have not thought of. :duno:
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: EU - In or out? Your thoughts please!

Post by 1964white »

Out
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Out
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

Out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Well, thanks for those 'thoughts' folks. Plenty to help me decide there.

:D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

drsdadsotherson wrote:Well, thanks for those 'thoughts' folks. Plenty to help me decide there.

:D
:roflmao:

I'm sure you'll make the correct decision in your own mind DDOS
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

I'm guessing it's already been made up!

The debates etc I've had over this is draining!
Can't wait till its done with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

not that bothered by it - though the "in" vote will win fairly comfortably so I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about it!
Wolfetoneleeds
Manager
Manager

Post by Wolfetoneleeds »

danhirons wrote:not that bothered by it - though the "in" vote will win fairly comfortably so I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about it!
Wouldn't be so sure about that!!
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Wouldn't be so sure about that!!
I agree, I think it could go either way.
gessa

Post by gessa »

I'm still uncertain, one day the outs tell us the average family will be £1000 per year better off with little evidence to back it up , the next day the ins tell us the average family will be £1000 per year worse off if we leave, again with little evidence of why. If you try to make sense of it all after deducting the scare factor, it's difficult to know what to do. I do feel if immigration wasn't a leading factor for some then the ins would win fairly comfortably but because of the immigration issue I think it will be a close run thing. I do feel some people are making their minds up on the one issue of immigration when we need to look at a much bigger picture.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

gessa wrote:I'm still uncertain, one day the outs tell us the average family will be £1000 per year better off with little evidence to back it up , the next day the ins tell us the average family will be £1000 per year worse off if we leave, again with little evidence of why. If you try to make sense of it all after deducting the scare factor, it's difficult to know what to do. I do feel if immigration wasn't a leading factor for some then the ins would win fairly comfortably but because of the immigration issue I think it will be a close run thing. I do feel some people are making their minds up on the one issue of immigration when we need to look at a much bigger picture.
I honestly think that will be the biggest factor of all and that worries me.
gessa

Post by gessa »

drsdadsotherson wrote:I honestly think that will be the biggest factor of all and that worries me.

Me too, spoke to a fella a few weeks back, his words" what else is there to consider"?. Baffling.
He hadn't even considered any other factors, just said, non of any of that will change whether we're in or out.
CSA
First Team
First Team

Post by CSA »

Out !!! pointless group of countries ruled autocratically by a group of faceless bureaucrats from Brussels, will be miles better off financially out (a majority of economists beleive this)
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

Wolfetoneleeds wrote:Wouldn't be so sure about that!!
we'll see! certain older demographics are "out" but I don't think it will be enough...my job kind of depends on it! :oops:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

CSA wrote:Out !!! pointless group of countries ruled autocratically by a group of faceless bureaucrats from Brussels, will be miles better off financially out (a majority of economists beleive this)
Indeed :tup:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Why do I get the feeling that however we vote the result will be we stay in....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Also if we vote to stay in doesn't that weaken us in Europe.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The best thing would have been not to have the vote in the first place
The second best thing then is have the vote and vote out
lastly have the vote and vote in...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Immigration doesn't bother me by the way. Just need to keep the Welsh out.