Leicester have done it...

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Re: Leicester are going to do it.

Post by hibbi86 »

I just hope they can do it, i think it will be a refreshing change and could potentialy change the outcome of players opinions when being touted by the clubs outside the top 4
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

It will be annoying if they win, or just stay near the top. Then they will become the new model for how teams without shed loads of money do decently in the Prem. Just need to do what Leicester did, and we'll be promoted. While that is great, it also helps to have no major injuries and great luck. Just like Swansea and Wigan and others were in the past were the models of Prem survival. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but find Leicester annoying to begin with regardless of the league they are in.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
gessa

Post by gessa »

Crude wrote:It be will annoying if they win, or just stay near the top. Then they will become the new model for how teams without shed loads of money do decently in the Prem. Just need to do what Leicester did, and we'll be promoted. While that is great, it also helps to have no major injuries and great luck. Just like Swansea and Wigan and others were in the past were the models of Prem survival. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but find Leicester annoying to begin with regardless of the league they are in.
Was saying a similar thing to a mate I bumped into on Saturday night, he's a West Brom fan, I think the downside to what Leicester have done is, it will make fans from the so called lesser clubs believe they should do it too, raising expectations to an unrealistic level.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

gessa wrote:

Was saying a similar thing to a mate I bumped into on Saturday night, he's a West Brom fan, I think the downside to what Leicester have done is, it will make fans from the so called lesser clubs believe they should do it too, raising expectations to an unrealistic level.
A certain section of Leeds fans already think that way and we’re not even in the Premiership.

I appreciate your views Ges (and Dan) but are you saying you'd rather 1 of the elite teams win every year so that the underdogs don't get above their station and actually dare to dream? I don’t think you actually mean that but it’s what could ensue if the hope is taken away – a bit like the Scottish Premiership which, next year, will surely resume normal service when Rangers get back up there.

Surely the chance to have a go, to seek something better, is what football's about, enabling every team to have a crack. The chance to actually have a crack has swung so far away from the average team now that it's not funny.

In 23 years of the EPL there have been 5 teams to win the title - 4 if you discount Jack Walker's sole foray in 1995 because that couldn’t happen again.

However, if I say that Murdoch and the EPL have changed the landscape so much since 1993 it would be disingenuous, because big teams have always ruled, as proved by the fact that, in the 23 years before the Premier League came into being in the 1992-3 season, only 7 different teams won the old First Division.

Pre-EPL, choosing a good manager , giving him time and at least a modest bankroll, was an option available to more than the elite.

What’s made the difference is the almost obscene amount of money in the EPL, with rich foreign owners moving in to the elite clubs and more TV money gravitating towards the richest.

The financial gulf between the elite teams and the rest is so wide even Evans couldn't get his mouth around it.

To sum up (“Please” you groan), no mate, I don't like Leicester either, but I like even less the elite, who have been allowed to ruin the competitiveness of our top flight – until this season! That’s why I'm hoping to celebrate a win for the underdog, not Leicester – they just happen to be the vehicle.

It would let the others know it can be done. If it stirs unrest it probably needed stirring.
Crude
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Crude »

Norm, I pretty much agree with your post. Think the top-half of the Prem is too bloated with too many big money players/coaches who are seriously under-performing. If a team like Leicester or Swansea can come along and upset the apple cart, I'm all for it. It shows there is a way forward in that league than just surviving to see another season of tv money. Still annoyed it's Leicester though.
RIP Twiggster, March 5, 2023

Chris & Kevin | Never Forgotten | April 5, 2000

Gary Andrew Speed, MBE — Always In Our Hearts, 1969-2011
Osprey
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Osprey »

I hope Leicester do it - It's a breath of fresh air and a kick up the jacksie for all the rich money men who've ruined our game!
since 7 October 1967
gessa

Post by gessa »

Definitely not Norm, I really hope they do it and I would love nothing better than Manure and Chelsea not making the Champions League for the foreseeable future, West Ham aren't a club I'm very fond of but would like them to take the 4th spot, the sooner these so called elite clubs are bought down to earth the better.
mchldavies7
First Team
First Team

Post by mchldavies7 »

I think spuds are gonna f*ck up today, jaded and battered after thurs and too aware of losing further ground on leicester..villa are probably resigned to their fate now and i suspect will play a more relaxed game..
I'll go 1-1
Leicester will beat the barcodes mon night to add to the pressure.
"God will forgive them...he'll forgive them and allow them into heaven...i cant live with that"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote: Was saying a similar thing to a mate I bumped into on Saturday night, he's a West Brom fan, I think the downside to what Leicester have done is, it will make fans from the so called lesser clubs believe they should do it too, raising expectations to an unrealistic level.

fair chance they do what we did the season after winning the league...struggle with relegation
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Osprey wrote:I hope Leicester do it - It's a breath of fresh air and a kick up the jacksie for all the rich money men who've ruined our game!

Not really. Leicester will just attempt to join them.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip wrote:

Leicester will just attempt to join them.
I admire your pragnatism - however they may not be able to, and yes, if they win, they may slip down the table next season.
For me the point is, the elite stranglehold will, at least for one year, have been broken. Things being what they are, Leicester may lose Vardy and Mahrez to the opposition, but Leicester's improved revenue stream may enable them to hang on to their best players. Who knows what effect that would have on other EPL clubs and their ambitions.

It won't stop the mega-rich clubs from being mega-rich, but it may decrease the attraction of a move to them a tad, to know that the ‘non-elite’ can still survive and even prosper in the EPL. Who knows, Watford could be next. Frankly, the old First Division was one of the healthiest in the world – the EPL is not. Anything that stalls the elite, no matter how transiently, is good in my book.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Leicester beat the Geordies 1-0 to go five points clear at the top
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

No dead manager bounce then
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

faaip on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:16 am

No dead manager bounce then
Leicester lucked out.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Leicester segued over the Palace banana skin to another victory.

I wish we had their belief but the necessary foundation is absent.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

...and now 7 points clear with another gritty but skilful 1-0. They may slip up but they're a pretty resilient team these days.

I have to admit to enjoying watching them whenever I can since I saw them beat ManCity.
In fact, of late, I've been watching quite a few EPL games - saw a cracker at Anfield yesterday and tbh seeing some really good footy is balm for the pain of being a current Leeds supporter.

I'll never support any other team but sometimes it's just great to watch good football and dream.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Just seen the highlights without knowing the score beforehand

Another 1-0 win....a sign of champions, grab a lead & defend stoutly
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Norm »

Out-Graham-ing Arsenal Leon. I so wish it were us.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Norm wrote:Out-Graham-ing Arsenal Leon. I so wish it were us.
The Foxes were in League One when we were down there, they have moved forwards & got their due reward whilst we've been mismanaged & briefly moved on the up getting out of L1. Since then we've gone sideways & backwards. Leicester are a million miles ahead of us. Right now i see little hope of progress....maybe it's my mood at the moment
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The main difference was that when we had our financial meltdown we sold off the stadium and Thorp Arch as well as not really clearing the debts. When Leicester went into admin they were able to come out of it with a brand new stadium and no debt. Sine that point Leicester had a succession of managers come and go before finally striking lucky with Pearson (at his second stint at the club having resigned despite getting them promoted from league 1 and into the championship play-offs) and then Ranieri.

As such Leicester have not had to spend millions on rent and millions on upgrades to an old stadium. That alone could be £50m difference between the clubs over the last 10 years. They have got through a similar amount of disastrous managerial appointments as us but got lucky with Pearson - perhaps Grayson could have been our Pearson as their records were nearly the same - Pearson got Leicester promoted from League 1 then finish 5th - we got promoted and finished 7th (but with a points total that would have got us into the play-offs the season before and indeed most years).

As such Leicester with their own stadium and no debts were a much more appealing club to be taken over (by the King Power group) than we were. That group were able to come in and invest money in the playing side rather than having to fight financial fires. Given a choice (and the benefit of hindsight) I am sure Cellino would have much rather bought Leicester.