Sandwiches/Food Hygiene

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Sandwiches/Food Hygiene

Post by 1964white »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... RaMcW2sZDQ

On the odd occasion we have bought one these sandwiches

NEVER AGAIN :spam:
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Sandwiches/Food Hygiene

Post by Genghers »

Most telling line of that is that it's the sort of work most people wouldn't want to do. Think there's a big problem here that some people will turn their noses up at that sort of job, despite being unable to find work elsewhere. I certainly encountered some people like that when I used the job centre a few years back.

Not really surprised that this sort of industrial line is where that kind of sandwich comes from, though the fact that they aren't wearing gloves is surely some kind of health hazard?

Don't tend to buy those kind of sandwiches regularly anyway, only the odd one in a meal deal or whatever...
joelufc20
First Team
First Team

Post by joelufc20 »

Gloves in the kitchen are the biggest misconception in catering. Having been a chef for 10 years we never wore gloves only time was on the sandwich bar as a cosmetic thing. My old warrant officer who is niw a hygiene trainer and auditor hated gloves as they make people think they are incisible to bacteria when in actual fact they can be used as a vehicle to transport bacteria. Clean hands is what it's all about and regular through washed hands is better tgan a dirty poly glove. Do you wear gloves in the kitchen at home cause I don't. I would only wear one when plating hot food up.
REST IN PEACE GARY SPEED LEEDS UNITED LEGEND

[url}http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery ... n-pictures[/url]
1964white

Post by 1964white »

joelufc20 wrote:Gloves in the kitchen are the biggest misconception in catering. Having been a chef for 10 years we never wore gloves only time was on the sandwich bar as a cosmetic thing. My old warrant officer who is niw a hygiene trainer and auditor hated gloves as they make people think they are incisible to bacteria when in actual fact they can be used as a vehicle to transport bacteria. Clean hands is what it's all about and regular through washed hands is better tgan a dirty poly glove. Do you wear gloves in the kitchen at home cause I don't. I would only wear one when plating hot food up.
Good point Joe but knowing these type of environments i doubt these employees hardly get an opportunity to go to the toilet let alone wash their hands thoroughly :shock:
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

I have one big issue with this article and its the constant reference that the majority of the staff are not from England. Its as if they are trying to say people from other countrys have dirty hands but the bristish do not, thats the way i feel the article is coming across.
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

joelufc20 wrote:Gloves in the kitchen are the biggest misconception in catering.
have to agree with this. I teach food safety courses here in the US, and I can assure you that a dirty glove is just as dirty as a dirty hand, and a clean, well washed, well manicured hand is every bit as clean as a glove.

Frequent hand washing, with or without gloves, is the key to food safety. Judging from the protective gear the workers in the picture are wearing and the fact that the production area looks to be a refrigerated environment, I wouldn't worry about those sandwiches in terms of their sanitary condition.

Taste and quality (especially the bread quality), on the other hand...........
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

Sorry, but what difference does it make what nationality the workers are?

Hey look everyone, someone has mayo on their sleeve, but that's not all... He might even be Polish!!! Gasp!!!!
1964white

Post by 1964white »

hibbi86 wrote:I have one big issue with this article and its the constant reference that the majority of the staff are not from England. Its as if they are trying to say people from other countrys have dirty hands but the bristish do not, thats the way i feel the article is coming across.
I know loads of Brits who don't wash their hands after a visit to the loo....dirty b*stards :x
andywatson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by andywatson »

Bloody immigrants making our sandwiches.

Think the Earl of Sandwich was a war hero- he will be rolling in his grave, and so will Princess Di....probably.

I really despise the Daily Mail.
Wise.......well lets just say I TOLD YOU SO
Kyle_5351
First Team
First Team

Post by Kyle_5351 »

I'm not sure why nationality was brought into this article when mentioning they were handling food without gloves. As mentioned by DDOS, it is completely irrelevant. These are the sort of articles I rarely finish reading, but I did in the interest of the discussion :mrgreen:

As most of you have already mentioned, the main part in this article which stood out to me is the line about British people not wanting to work there. I am pretty sure they would be able to find plenty of people who would WANT to work. Not necessarily want to work there due to the nature of the trade or the environment, but want to work due to having nothing else available.

Seems like a lot of BS to me.
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Kyle_5351 wrote:I'm not sure why nationality was brought into this article when mentioning they were handling food without gloves. As mentioned by DDOS, it is completely irrelevant. These are the sort of articles I rarely finish reading, but I did in the interest of the discussion :mrgreen:

As most of you have already mentioned, the main part in this article which stood out to me is the line about British people not wanting to work there. I am pretty sure they would be able to find plenty of people who would WANT to work. Not necessarily want to work there due to the nature of the trade or the environment, but want to work due to having nothing else available.

Seems like a lot of BS to me.
I think one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made was the dismantling of our manufacturing and agricultural industries in favour of financial industry and trade agreements. The move scythed down unskilled, skilled and semi-skilled job opportunities at ground level.
Great for internationals and multinationals and the environment enjoyed it too, but it's had an enormous impact on the general population. If the factories had been cleaned up instead of thrown away we would be in a much better position.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

drsdadsotherson wrote:
I think one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made was the dismantling of our manufacturing and agricultural industries in favour of financial industry and trade agreements. The move scythed down unskilled, skilled and semi-skilled job opportunities at ground level.
Great for internationals and multinationals and the environment enjoyed it too, but it's had an enormous impact on the general population. If the factories had been cleaned up instead of thrown away we would be in a much better position.
Totally agree :tup:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

I'm sure if people started researching the food they ate, most people would come across as horrified. Fast food, frozen food, pre made sandwiches... it's cheap, fast food, it's not going to be treated with the utmost care. The only way to ensure properly made food is making it yourself. Even then you would need to know how the ingredients have been handled and treated before you get them. And are we really that clean ourselves? The staff could be kitted out in a brand new hairnet, coat and gloves for every single sandwich and one could accidentally cough on a sandwich, which would arguably be more harmful than not using gloves.

Humans are hardy beings. Do you wash your hands before every snack / meal? I know I don't and I think of what my hand has came into contact with; mobile phone, light switch, hand shakes, computer keyboards, hand rails, door handles... all places teeming with billions of germs. All far more dangerous than someone who is working in a food preparation area that washes their hands every now and again. If that chap didn't wash his hands all day, I'd hazard a guess his hand would still contain less harmful germs than your mobile phone.

Just a bit of scare mongering, more specifically aimed at implying that foreign people are dirtier than us.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

You have hit the nail on the head Mango. You see similar stories here - for example on current affairs shows that 'test supermarkets' and find thousands of germs. Really? Big surprise, germs are everywhere. Unless the supermarket showers itself in bleach 24 hours a day, you will find thousands of germs. Big deal.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

HarryofOz wrote:You have hit the nail on the head Mango. You see similar stories here - for example on current affairs shows that 'test supermarkets' and find thousands of germs. Really? Big surprise, germs are everywhere. Unless the supermarket showers itself in bleach 24 hours a day, you will find thousands of germs. Big deal.
Indeed. Somewhat ironically, the money that you bring in probably contains multiple times more germs than anything in that supermarket.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

It's also true to say that contact with and ingestion of bacteria and other microbes is essential for developing and maintaining a healthy immune system.

Maintaining sterility is like refusing to learn to swim for fear of drowning. At some point in your life you're going to fall into a river and have nothing in your arsenal to fight it.
Mrs64
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Mrs64 »

Wash my hands when we've been out anywhere, handling money & definiely when i've been to the loo or before we eat meals/snacks as does Leon. Both of us have wet-wipes in the car & Leon always has them in his lunch pack-ups on his Leeds United days. We rarely get flu/colds & haven't had a sickness bug in eighteen years of our marriage touch wood

Tempting fate now :lol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

My hygiene habits revealed :lol: