Last year / this year

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Last year / this year

Post by Martyn »

weasel wrote:
Down to 7 points and GD 13 worse
14 worse.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Last year / this year

Post by weasel »

13 - we won 2-0 and last year's team's result for match 30 was 1-0 loss.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Last year / this year

Post by Martyn »

Ah yes, haven't gone to my spreadsheet yet. Apologies weasel
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
hector

Post by hector »

This hasn't been updated for a while..

how do we compare this year now?
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

GW has left the building
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote:This hasn't been updated for a while..

how do we compare this year now?
I think this is how it stands games/points wise

2013/14 - Played - 30....Points - 42
2014/15 - Played - 31....Points - 38

So the gap is closing as i fully expected it to do, lets hope we keep this run going :-D

If anyone wishes to check my information, much appreciated :tup:
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

difficult to compare parts of seasons properly, the table is not a great indicator till the end of the season (with the extremes being the obvious exceptions)
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

mav wrote:difficult to compare parts of seasons properly, the table is not a great indicator till the end of the season (with the extremes being the obvious exceptions)
It would be an argument for most leagues, but not the Championship. Bar two or three top teams, and two or three awful teams, every other team is beatable/unbeatable on the day. You don't need to analyse "ah at this stage last year we had 5 easy games coming up". We've played 30 games and I reckon the difficulty of those games were similar to last season's first 30.

We all like to see improvement, and whilst we struggled pre-christmas, all evidence of an improving side is there. At one point we were 13 points off of last season and on par with our relegation season. Now we are catching up as this is the point last season the club fell apart and we threw away points for fun. We can't realistically go for promotion next season if we haven't improved from last. While one snapshot of this table may show we aren't better than last season, if you look at them all over time, it shows improvement.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Done entirely tongue in cheek of course! :P

Just like I could see the background instability of the club effected McDermott's tenure, I can also see that it's the stability around the club that has improved our recent form. I also am fully aware of the bedding in period of the new players giving 2014/15 season a slow start and it's not solely due to Cellino.

Let's hope the 2.4 trendline continues for a bit eh!?
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Just saw that retweeted on twitter and was on my way here to post it when I realised it was you, Mango!

It's interesting to break it down like that... Where did Redders' permanent role begin/what's our average over that period?

If you could update this each game, that would be dandy :lol:
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Genghers wrote:Just saw that retweeted on twitter and was on my way here to post it when I realised it was you, Mango!

It's interesting to break it down like that... Where did Redders' permanent role begin/what's our average over that period?

If you could update this each game, that would be dandy :lol:
LOL, I'll maybe do one for manager tenures, although again, Milanic/Hockaday would be too short to take anything from (as is the 5 games since Cellino's ban). Could check out with/without Redfearn.
Dons Legends
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dons Legends »

A far younger squad with loads of potential, this team could improve no end and easily become promotion candidates next year. Last years mostly old deadwood have gone, all hail Cellino, again.
When the ball hits the goal, it's not Shearer or Cole, it's ...... Antenucci.
Drs.Dad
Manager
Manager

Post by Drs.Dad »

I feel that Redders having another main coach to lean on and brainstorm over player performance is more likely to be the reason for the upturn. A 30 player squad is far too big for one man to manage.
:tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Dons Legends wrote:A far younger squad with loads of potential, this team could improve no end and easily become promotion candidates next year. Last years mostly old deadwood have gone, all hail Cellino, again.
Couldn't agree with you more Dons :tup: it's an immense pleasure watching such a young team moving us forward. I've been dreaming of a successful young LUFC team :-D after the last few years i couldn't visualise it tbh
Dons Legends
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dons Legends »

1964white wrote:
Couldn't agree with you more Dons :tup: it's an immense pleasure watching such a young team moving us forward. I've been dreaming of a successful young LUFC team :-D after the last few years i couldn't visualise it tbh
Who knows where this youth could take us, I don't like mentioning scum, but they're class of 92 created the cornerstone for over 20 years of amazing success. Not saying we can emulate that, but we could eventually get promoted with our youth and be a force in the premiership. Bates and GFH would have definitely sold them, Cellino hopefully knows not to do this.
Dons Legends
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Dons Legends »

Drs.Dad wrote:I feel that Redders having another main coach to lean on and brainstorm over player performance is more likely to be the reason for the upturn. A 30 player squad is far too big for one man to manage.
:tup:
I think you are right mate, there's a few little things that have improved our team and results. Byram moving to midfield, the re-emergence of Murphy, the signing of Bamba, the confidence of the whole team, that comes with them all fighting and getting good tight results. Plus Redders team picks and tactics, he deserves credit.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Not been updated in a while. On Wednesday we moved level with last season's points after 35 games but were 5 goals down on goal differnce. In match 36 we remain the same as last year's team beat Millwall 2-1 in their 36th game.

2013-2014 Pl 36 Pts 47 GD -2
2014-2015 Pl 36 Pts 47 GD -7

Last year's team went on to lose the next 5 matches before 3 wins from 4 matches (the other match being a loss) eased lingering relegaion worries. They ended the season with a draw to finish on 57 points and a -8 goal difference.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Martyn wrote:It's a good job everyone keeps saying that we have a far better team this season.

I always had faith even through our dodgy run as i could see the players were a far better group than the one from 2013/14, yes the team required some tinkering & given time & patience allowing the new squad of players to gel & form come to fruition. We have no real stars or players who think they are better than they actually are, just a squad who are prepared to learn & work together as a cohesive unit :-D
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gandalf wrote:You should know by now that we can't be negative. The football we are playing is much easier on the eye. The fact that we don't garner as many points and have the the 2nd worst away record in the league after Blackpool (just) is inconsequential. Plus, we don't have McCormack scoring 30 goals, and ruining our formation.
I would suggest our team which has grown in stature given time to develope has proved you & several other fans theories & negativity was somewhat over the top.

As for Ross....where are Fulham sitting in the championship now in the first week in March ?
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

1964white wrote:I would suggest our team which has grown in stature given time to develope has proved you & several other fans theories & negativity was somewhat over the top.

As for Ross....where are Fulham sitting in the championship now in the first week in March ?
So, by your argument, Hunt is a top player due to his position in the Championship?

QPR and Burnley are in relegation spots ergo Ings and Austin are pure drivel?

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Ross 11. Leeds top goal scorers Nucci/Mowatt 8?

We're all happy we got 11 million for Ross (especially because it was redelivered as promised back into the transfer kitty........) but it's a stretch to say Fulham are relegation material because of Ross. Insane.

We're level with Brian's so called dross after the same amount of games, mainly due to Redders, the youth, Murphy (signed by?), and Bamba/Bellusci/Cooper being the best defensive signings we've had in a while. We're heading in the right direction, but we've had to make a few detours and rely on some unexpected hitch-hikes to get here. Let's not pretend this was the path set out at the start of the season. That path dragged us perilously to the wrong side of town.