Hockaday gone? Who would we replace him with?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Tim sherwood

Post by El Es Six »

Can't see it happening. Tim Sherwood doesn't strike me as a coach/Yes Man - he's a proper manager who likes things done his way. Being lumbered with a load of unknown italian players probably isn't his idea of a job worth taking.
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: Hockaday gone? Who would we replace him with?

Post by El Es Six »

Gurj wrote:Which decent manager/coach is going to come to LUFC right now knowing that Celliono is a control freak who wants to dictate which players we sign ?!

Lets face it that's why he got Hockaday, who was clearly out of hes depth from day one but he was what Cellino wants - a yes man.
Exactly right. I think the best thing would be for Cellino to quickly learn that what he knows about how to run Cagliari may not (in my opinion definitely does not) translate into a way to run LUFC. Can't see it happening (though you never know) which is why I've always been in 2 minds about him as an owner. Jury is still well and truly out...
CptCrash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Twitter: @foxobilly

Post by CptCrash »

Not saying I want him but Zola a decent bet at that price. Knows and has 'worked with' MC, knows the league, worked in a not dissimilar position at Watford and reached play offs.

Clark would be great but surely wont happen.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

He has done exactly what in the game? Taken a side that was struggling to break into the top 4 and didn't get them into the top 4.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'm hearing some stupid suggestions..

McCallister and Radebe...for one
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cozy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cozy »

Change of heart it would seem - Hockaday's staying... according to Phil Hay on Twitter
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP
Cellino says he had decided to sack Hockaday yesterday and was ready to do so until he spoke to Hockaday about half an hour ago.
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Post by woodfordwhites »

so what happend ? did hock blow him off and get a wage rise.what could of changed his mind
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

The largest % of the blame lies with Cellino. He is as big a shyster as the majority of Chairmen - and I am amazed that anyone thought - or still thinks - he is the man to take our club out of the laughing stocks.

Hockaday shares some of the balme, too. I do not accept that he would have been daft not to have taken the job given his employment situation at the time.

I was offered a big job recently, but I knew that I did not have the skill set for it.

Shed load of cash, perks, benefits etc.

I turned it down because it would have been wrong of me to take it.

Watched him on FLS after Watford shambles and he is a guy looking/sounding out of his depth - totally.
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

There's a guy doing a cracking job at Morecambe these days.

(The next post should probably have a punchline along the lines of but we're more likely to get Ernie Wise).
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

I have actually stopped caring. I can't relate to a team full of second rate Italian mercenaries playing for an Italian conman - WTF does that have to do with the Leeds I grew up with, the Leeds of Revie, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Clarke or Giles?

I really don't care any more.
Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
woodfordwhites
First Team
First Team

Post by woodfordwhites »

i truely understand your thoughts gw.its a fkn shame
Cozy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Cozy »

Seems strange that Cellino is taking the shouldering of the blame and taking time to consider things when he's clearly a guy who acts very much on impulse, but maybe it's a calculated move to take the sting out of what could be bad results over the next week against Bradford and Bolton to allow him time to plan for a Hockaday replacement should he need it and give his choice of coach a little bit of breathing space in a hope that things will start to come together and the results come good.

I bet all the managers in the league right now are wishing they could work under Cellino - a chairman who actually says he's not signed the right players & doesn't blame the shortfalls of his head coach/manager..... There's a first!
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Guildford White wrote:I have actually stopped caring. I can't relate to a team full of second rate Italian mercenaries playing for an Italian conman - WTF does that have to do with the Leeds I grew up with, the Leeds of Revie, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Clarke or Giles?

Been heading that way missen, GW - for a few seasons. I think Colin's reign pushed me to complacency about LUFC. Then McD came in and it was same old. I actually gave up my podcast, as I was finding it increasingly harder to get the enthusiasm to research and record it anymore. I was hoping to start broadcasting again this season, as Cellino was something different to the pathetic-ness of Bates and the utter incompetence of Haigh and Patel . Quirky and unpredictable and a loose canon. I actually felt inspired.
Then he appointed cockaday.... :(

Martyn - at least us old sods saw the very best of LUFC - twice! Three times, if you can count the CL season - however....
Absolute kudos to the likes of Wolfie and his SS5 mates for bringing back a bit of passion to home games. Most of them won't be old enough to even remember the Wilko years, yet they have LUFC in their blood :tup:
It's not "our" club anymore mate....it's the young uns' club now. They will be supporting LUFC when we are long gone and who knows? Hopefully they will get to see their own "Glory Years" :tup:
ON ON ON!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Guildford White wrote:I have actually stopped caring. I can't relate to a team full of second rate Italian mercenaries playing for an Italian conman - WTF does that have to do with the Leeds I grew up with, the Leeds of Revie, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Clarke or Giles?

that ship sailed years ago...most teams have mercenaries playing for them now.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Been heading that way missen, GW - for a few seasons. I think Colin's reign pushed me to complacency about LUFC. Then McD came in and it was same old. I actually gave up my podcast, as I was finding it increasingly harder to get the enthusiasm to research and record it anymore. I was hoping to start broadcasting again this season, as Cellino was something different to the pathetic-ness (patheticity?) of Bates and the utter incompetence of Haigh and Patel . Quirky and unpredictable and a loose canon. I actually felt inspired.
Then he appointed cockaday.... :(

Martyn - at least us old sods saw the very best of LUFC - twice! Three times, if you can count the CL season - however....
Absolute kudos to the likes of Wolfie and his SS5 mates for bringing back a bit of passion to home games. Most of them won't be old enough to even remember the Wilko years, yet they have LUFC in their blood :tup:
It's not "our" club anymore mate....it's the young uns' club now. They will be supporting LUFC when we are long gone and who knows? Hopefully they will get to see their own "Glory Years" :tup:
ON ON ON!
Last edited by Twiggster on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NULUFC
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by NULUFC »

Club say no sacking and that's all they're saying. Problem is who would be prepared to take it on and who of any stature can we afford? Hockaday is on a hiding to nothing as everyone expects him to fail so current results make him a target. At the end of the day he was given the job so all he can do is do it and do his best as I am sure he is. As per usual the fans continue to support the team and take the rough with the smooth as loyal fans do. The thing is much like the 'Pulis and Pallace' scenario, who ever takes the job will have Coaching responsibility but player acquisition and Management rests with Cellini. It's early days in the season but football is am impatient animal for those in power.
Ryan_LUFC
Youth Team
Youth Team
Twitter: @ryan_merri

Post by Ryan_LUFC »

Hockaday if we go 1-0 down to Bradford
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
NULUFC
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by NULUFC »

I suppose I should add that having supported Leeds for over 40 years now I too have seen the rough with the smooth but what makes me and my son proud is the fans unwaining support and never daunted by anything attitude.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

NULUFC wrote:I suppose I should add that having supported Leeds for over 40 years now I too have seen the rough with the smooth but what makes me and my son proud is the fans unwaining support and never daunted by anything attitude.
Only 40? A mere sprog then :lol: Welcome to the forum mate :tup: