New Head Coach LUFC

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Re: New Head Coach LUFC

Post by theleedsmango »

Armleywhite wrote:Somebody asked me why I was surprised. Well, TBH, m not. Jus bloody angry that the club is once again in the hands of a total schyster. Again, this also doesn't surprise means as modern football is all about such things. However, I have voiced my concern about Cellino since he made inroads to buying the club and asked why such a crook appeared to be welcomed. I was shot down by some for saying that the consortium were, for me, a far better option. well, it seems the people got what the people wanted. like I said previously, frying pan and fire spring to mind.
See, I kind of get why people were for Cellino at the time, because I guess it was better to take a gamble than face administration. I don't think Cellino, the consortium or indeed any other person out there would have the know-how to 'fix Leeds' within a relatively short time, 6-12 months. What Cellino does provide is the money to help keep the club afloat while the problems are eliminated by trial and error and the ruthlessness (or not give-a-s**t attitude) that is needed to change things.

That being said I don't see how people can defend his time here. His drunken rants, his abysmal treatment of players and manager, his ridiculous demands...the list goes on. And now he's hiring Hockaday? I'm all for giving lower league talent a shot but to tell the fans you are going to spend money and gain promotion in 2 years and to then back it up with a Lidl quality manager... that's beyond defensible.

Nevertheless, I'll give Hockaday some time. Compare and contrast our recent managers (Grayson, Warnock, McDermott) and you'll see it was the one who had the least renowned CV performed the best. The same applies for players (ranging from Hunt, Kebe, and Morrison to Beckford, Snodgrass and Becchio). I'll always give people time and get behind them. Cellinos time, however, has been ticking for months now and his rep is only going one way.
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
ldsutd
First Team
First Team

Post by ldsutd »

theleedsmango wrote:
See, I kind of get why people were for Cellino at the time, because I guess it was better to take a gamble than face administration. I don't think Cellino, the consortium or indeed any other person out there would have the know-how to 'fix Leeds' within a relatively short time, 6-12 months. What Cellino does provide is the money to help keep the club afloat while the problems are eliminated by trial and error and the ruthlessness (or not give-a-s**t attitude) that is needed to change things.

That being said I don't see how people can defend his time here. His drunken rants, his abysmal treatment of players and manager, his ridiculous demands...the list goes on. And now he's hiring Hockaday? I'm all for giving lower league talent a shot but to tell the fans you are going to spend money and gain promotion in 2 years and to then back it up with a Lidl quality manager... that's beyond defensible.

Nevertheless, I'll give Hockaday some time. Compare and contrast our recent managers (Grayson, Warnock, McDermott) and you'll see it was the one who had the least renowned CV performed the best. The same applies for players (ranging from Hunt, Kebe, and Morrison to Beckford, Snodgrass and Becchio). I'll always give people time and get behind them. Cellinos time, however, has been ticking for months now and his rep is only going one way.
that's all we can do mate is give him a chance and see how it goes after all it's not like anything we type on here will make a difference :tup:
drsdadsotherson
First Team
First Team

Post by drsdadsotherson »

I can't believe that people have overlooked the greatest advantage of hiring Hockaday.

His name fits easily into so many songs.
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

drsdadsotherson wrote:I can't believe that people have overlooked the greatest advantage of hiring Hockaday.

His name fits easily into so many songs.

:shock:
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

Guildford White wrote: You haven't noticed his appalling record at picking coaches then? Just the 36 at Cagliari, in a football environment he knew well.

He confesses he knows nothing about English football - what makes you think he is suddenly going to be a good judge of coaches here?
Even with the revolving door, they still managed to get up to Serie A and stay there, he may know little about English football but atleast he knows about Football, we gone down the tried and tested route of managers and where has it gotten us?

some of the worst football we have ever played, whats the harm in trying something new?
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
becchio bear
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @Becchiobear

Post by becchio bear »

hibbi86 wrote:
Even with the revolving door, they still managed to get up to Serie A and stay there, he may know little about English football but atleast he knows about Football, we gone down the tried and tested route of managers and where has it gotten us?

some of the worst football we have ever played, whats the harm in trying something new?
Exactly, and at the end of the day there's nowt we can do about it anyway. Jeez the season hasn't started yet and we already have some people hiking us down to the Conference :roll: :bear:
I'm going back to 505, I saw them at Sheffield and they were amazing.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

So, is it confirmed? Is that ballbag Hockaday our new coach? There's been much venting of spleen on here, but I haven't seen anything concrete that he is the new man. Did I miss it?
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

lufc1304 wrote:So, is it confirmed? Is that ballbag Hockaday our new coach? There's been much venting of spleen on here, but I haven't seen anything concrete that he is the new man. Did I miss it?

at the moment it's not much more than media speculation...personally I can see a double team here with Hockaday doing the job of a Peter Taylor.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote:

at the moment it's not much more than media speculation...personally I can see a double team here with Hockaday doing the job of a Peter Taylor.
Would love it if the media have got it wrong & everyone has got their knickers in a twist for nothing :wink: :lol:
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Its all Confirmed :-(

Just seen official Tweet from Club. Hockaday and Junior Lewis as he's assistant sign 2 year deal !

This is just utter utter rubbish on Cellino's part !! I hope all those who were raving about him are happy now. Said then he wasnt the saviour all was making out to be. Here comes League One........
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Dr.Leeds
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DoctorLeeds

New Head Coach LUFC

Post by Dr.Leeds »

Hockaday officially confirmed. Junior Lewis joining as assistant.
hibbi86
First Team
First Team
Twitter: @Hibbi86

Post by hibbi86 »

Congrast to Hockaday, wish him all the good luck and fortune in his future role
Forever and ever we shall follow are team, because we're Leeds United we rule supreme!
Genghers
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Genghers »

Gurj wrote:Its all Confirmed :-(

Just seen official Tweet from Club. Hockaday and Junior Lewis as he's assistant sign 2 year deal !

This is just utter utter rubbish on Cellino's part !! I hope all those who were raving about him are happy now. Said then he wasnt the saviour all was making out to be. Here comes League One........
I also hope all the anti-McDermott lot are happy, we now have someone who is completely unproven at this level and hasn't exactly achieved at a lower level.

We'll just have to see where we go now, but I can't find it within myself to be optimistic right now...
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by El Es Six »

Says he'll give everything he's got to the club. What that amounts to I've no idea.
rich_leeds64
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @richleeds64

Post by rich_leeds64 »

While I'm prepared to give Dave Hockaday a chance and will support him I can't help making comparisons with Mike Bassett England manager. He could well be way out of his depth. Time will tell.
Another point to all those slagging Cellino, he repayed the Sport Capital loan this morning to unfreeze the clubs bank account. Since his arrival he's kept on unearthing more debt and I believe any money he intended using to bring in a coach/manager has gone on steadying the ship and trying to get the club operating at a profit. He's a successful business man and I think we have to be patient with him and see where we are in 12 months
Martyn
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @MartynStead

Post by Martyn »

Bates, GFH, Cellino: Same s**t, different arseholes.
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by El Es Six »

Listening to the press conference - if I were a Leeds player I'd feel less than inspired with a president that calls me a kid and a 1st team coach that's achieved next to nothing. I have a bad feeling about this set-up right now.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

becchio bear wrote:
Exactly, and at the end of the day there's nowt we can do about it anyway. Jeez the season hasn't started yet and we already have some people hiking us down to the Conference :roll: :bear:
Well said BB & others on this page who are prepared to give Cellino/Hock a chance....lets face it Warnock & McDermott were clueless even with their track record....ironic how it seems those who put their dosh into the club are the showing less negativity !
theleedsmango
First Team
First Team

Post by theleedsmango »

Phil Hay: "What's your philosophy on the training ground?"
Hockaday: "What's a training ground?"
"Please understand that the theory that every Leeds discussion converges to a finite, but uninformed, debate on the Chairman is one we must all question and actively counter" - Stephen Hawkings
El Es Six
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by El Es Six »

1964white wrote:Well said BB & others on this page who are prepared to give Cellino/Hock a chance....lets face it Warnock & McDermott were clueless even with their track record....ironic how it seems those who put their dosh into the club are the showing less negativity !
I put my money into the club. Renewed my ST the other week. (It struck me a couple of days ago as slightly cynical timing not to announce the new coach until after the deadline for renewals.)

The press conference seemed to be more Cellino talking than our new head coach - it was clear to see who was really in charge. Hockaday has no track record to speak of and this club could eat him up in minutes. He is a yes man and dispensable. Cellino admitted as much that he's taking a punt. You could hear Hockaday realising the size of the job in hand as questions were answered v e r y v e r r y s l l o o w w w l y y y y y by him. He's not had a press conference like that before in his life. He's treading water from day one and I hope he finds the strength and ability to swim quickly.

I genuinely hope this isn't the disaster is feel like it has the potential to be. I will of course turn up and support my team and those doing the best to make them a good team but as a paying fan I would have been happier with a slightly more established coach.