Bombard this for Billy! Result now in!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Bombard this for Billy! Result now in!

Post by 1964white »

Drs.Dad wrote:The sad thing is that this result has only been reached because of the huge number of fans Leeds have on the internet, a fanbase which avidly follow the SuperWhites any and every way they can. If it were up the FA, he would not have stood a chance. So give yourselves all a huge pat on the back!
:shirt:
My first game was as a 9yo v Grimsby Town, we won 3-1 & I was immediately struck by this wee fiery ginger kid. Billy scored & he was my hero ever since :luv:
Alan Peacock & Ian Lawson were the other scorers !
billie1
First Team
First Team

Post by billie1 »

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Cracking read, Billie - tho I'm glad to see Eddie agrees with me that Giles was more influential in that great team. :tup:
Billy was a fantastic captain - eleven years! :shock: Giles was his brains tho.

I remember some of Billy's earliest games, before Gilesy arrived. He was just "kick the man and hope you get the ball" :shock: I've seen Big Jack lift Billy up off the ground by his shirt, to stop him from a possible sending off. Seen Bobby Collins push Billy away from a player he'd decked and wanted afters, for the same reasons.

Giles took the heat off Billy's hard man rep, as he was more subtle in how he took players out of a game :wink: Leaving Billy free to attack. Yes, Giles was actually a sneaky dirty fekker in challenges, but he saved Billy from a lot of sendings off once he arrived. Billy was too blatant.

Billy was allus there for that vital goal tho...However my main memory of Billy that stands out. Fairs Cup vs Bologna at ER. We'd drawn away and at 90 mins it was still 0-0 at ER. Ref spun a coin to decide the game. REALLY!
When it landed, Billy jumped higher in the air than Big Jack ever did, to let us know we'd won! :tup:
Happy Days! :-D
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

1964white wrote:My first game was as a 9yo v Grimsby Town, we won 3-1 & I was immediately struck by this wee fiery ginger kid.
Why? What had you done to him?
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Drs.Dad wrote:The sad thing is that this result has only been reached because of the huge number of fans Leeds have on the internet, a fanbase which avidly follow the SuperWhites any and every way they can. If it were up the FA, he would not have stood a chance. So give yourselves all a huge pat on the back!
:shirt:
Actually I'd say that the sad thing is that it just goes to show how meaningless these polls are. Proves nothing about Billy only about people who are prepared to spend time voting on these sorts of polls and the ability of Leeds fan forums to get a campaign going.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

HarryofOz wrote:Actually I'd say that the sad thing is that it just goes to show how meaningless these polls are. Proves nothing about Billy only about people who are prepared to spend time voting on these sorts of polls and the ability of Leeds fan forums to get a campaign going.
Jaysus bring the mood down, why dontcha!
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gino 1959 wrote: Jaysus bring the mood down, why dontcha!
The mood?

Okay, more Leeds fans are prepared to vote in polls - or vote multiple times in polls - than fans from other clubs. WOOHOO.
Un Marcelo Bielsa, solo hay un Marcelo Bielsa. Gracias Marcello. Marsching on together.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Best captain AND best fans!

Something you spurvertonians will never understand :mrgreen:
Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

Gino 1959 wrote:Best captain AND best fans!

Something you spurvetonians will never understand :mrgreen:
:tup: Don't waste your time Gino - let him vote instead, for a new prime minister who will be SOOO beneficial to OZ! Either that, or some other aussie marsupial! :roll:

:roflmao:
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

You can keep kidding yourselves that the poll means anything about Billy if you want to.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

It is what it is, H. I don't complain when some knucklehead wins an election only because lots of people (including me) don't vote for other candidates.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gino 1959 wrote:It is what it is, H. I don't complain when some knucklehead wins an election only because lots of people (including me) don't vote for other candidates.
In an election you only get to vote once, and you vote on issues and not because the candidate was born in a particular place or wears the same brand of clothes that you do.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

What I meant was: it's not our fault as fans that more of us voted for Billy.

Personally, though, I would vote for anyone who dressed as well as I do.
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Twiggster wrote:
:tup: Don't waste your time Gino - let him vote instead, for a new prime minister who will be SOOO beneficial to OZ! Either that, or some other aussie marsupial! :roll:

:roflmao:
The vote in the Australian election will have a much bigger impact on people's lives than the Billy poll
HarryofOz
Superstar
Superstar

Post by HarryofOz »

Gino 1959 wrote:What I meant was: it's not our fault as fans that more of us voted for Billy.

Personally, though, I would vote for anyone who dressed as well as I do.
I didn't say it was anyone's fault. I just said it was meaningless and doesn't prove anything about Billy. In fact if a panel of neutral experts looked at all the criteria - and not just which club the player played for - and rated Billy as the best club captain ever than that would have meant something. Though of course the term 'best' would always be subjective and be a matter of opinion.

Glad to now that only someone who matches your sartorial splendour will ever be President of Ireland :mrgreen:
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

HarryofOz wrote: Glad to now that only someone who matches your sartorial splendour will ever be President of Ireland :mrgreen:
The current incumbent didn't get my vote - unlike his predecessor.