QPR - Changes in central defence

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
CardiffWhite
First Team
First Team

QPR - Changes in central defence

Post by CardiffWhite »

I must admit when I heard that O'Brien was out I was very concerned as he appeared to be central to our defensive improvements since Cardiff. But to hear Bruce went out injured was also very concerning as our settled defence had been changed. So how did Collins and Bromby do? Did they have much of a chance to prove themselves today? It sounds like we were on the attack for most of the game.

Great result anyway - I needed that because I've been in bed most of the day with a massive hang-over. :oops:
matt leeds
First Team
First Team

Re: QPR - Changes in central defence

Post by matt leeds »

Both were solid, one mistake from Bromby but other than that they did ok. To be fair QPR didnt attack as much as I expected though.
Leeds is in my blood, always will be.

Going Up, Going Up, Leeds are going up, na na na na na na na na
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

CardiffWhite wrote:I must admit when I heard that O'Brien was out I was very concerned as he appeared to be central to our defensive improvements since Cardiff. But to hear Bruce went out injured was also very concerning as our settled defence had been changed. So how did Collins and Bromby do? Did they have much of a chance to prove themselves today? It sounds like we were on the attack for most of the game.

Great result anyway - I needed that because I've been in bed most of the day with a massive hang-over. :oops:
Both Collins & Bromby did very well Cardiff

Encouraging strong performance from Bromby when you consider he had only played 15 minutes at Boro as a substitute.
He marked Hulse out of the game who was substituted by Warnock in the end

Having two decent full backs in years does help our centre backs as they are rarely caught out of position as oppose to last season when our FB's were regularly skinned. Also our present full backs are stopping alot of crosses flashing accross the box :!:
Last edited by 1964white on Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Hats off to Bromby today, did a good job considering how much first team football he has played this year. That said QPR only had one idea, hoof it to Hulse and get the nod downs, they were'nt very inventive.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Shields53 wrote:Hats off to Bromby today, did a good job considering how much first team football he has played this year. That said QPR only had one idea, hoof it to Hulse and get the nod downs, they were'nt very inventive.
Expected alot more from QPR Shieldsy, pleasently surprised how ordinary we made them look
white.riot

Post by white.riot »

Has Bromby ever let us down - I can't remember it if he did. Odd that he slipped down the pecking order given that Larry bought him.

Thought QPR were better than 64/shieldsy have made out. 7 was excellent but lacked support. For a team with the best defence in the league their centre backs looked shakey all game. We simply had too many attacking options and critically we were far more athletic and hungry. BJ out played Derry which is why he wants more money :wink: Thats another great game for BJ by the way. Booing from the kop is ridiculous.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

white.riot wrote:Has Bromby ever let us down - I can't remember it if he did. Odd that he slipped down the pecking order given that Larry bought him.

Thought QPR were better than 64/shieldsy have made out. 7 was excellent but lacked support. For a team with the best defence in the league their centre backs looked shakey all game. We simply had too many attacking options and critically we were far more athletic and hungry. BJ out played Derry which is why he wants more money :wink: Thats another great game for BJ by the way. Booing from the kop is ridiculous.
Were some fools booing again WR

Couldn't hear the pathetic irritants as i had my cloth ears on :lol:
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

white.riot wrote:Thought QPR were better than 64/shieldsy have made out. 7 was excellent but lacked support. For a team with the best defence in the league their centre backs looked shakey all game. We simply had too many attacking options and critically we were far more athletic and hungry. BJ out played Derry which is why he wants more money :wink: Thats another great game for BJ by the way. Booing from the kop is ridiculous.
I thought QPR brought the game to us first 20 minutes, played the ball on the floor had some good chances, after that they faded and resorted to hoofing it long. Possibly because we were dominent on the wings and BJ owned the centre of midifeld but they became very one dimensional.
matt leeds
First Team
First Team

Post by matt leeds »

I expected more from QPR but still thought they were a decent team. Their number 7 seems to be the foundation of their team but I do think it was down to the quality of our attack today that made them just another 3 points for us. the chants of 'easy' towards the end of the match said it all.

I was in the Kop and cant remember any booing at all?
Leeds is in my blood, always will be.

Going Up, Going Up, Leeds are going up, na na na na na na na na
revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

When Bruce went off and left us with the central defensive pairing of Bromby and Collins, I mus admit to being somewhat apprehensive, particularly having seen QPR look lively in attack on TV.
However, the whole team defended brilliantly as a unit, nullifying them in their attacking third.
Collins won everything in the air and with Bromby they were a solid pair throughout.
The biggest compliment I can pay them is

O'Brien and Bruce weren't missed today.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

revie-era wrote:When Bruce went off and left us with the central defensive pairing of Bromby and Collins, I mus admit to being somewhat apprehensive, particularly having seen QPR look lively in attack on TV.
However, the whole team defended brilliantly as a unit, nullifying them in their attacking third.
Collins won everything in the air and with Bromby they were a solid pair throughout.
The biggest compliment I can pay them is

O'Brien and Bruce weren't missed today.
True Revie, we didn't miss them. Our first clean sheet too at home since 25th September :o
CardiffWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by CardiffWhite »

Thanks for the feedback folks. It is reassuring to hear they did well and that the team as a whole defended well. :-D