The Visual/Music Discussion Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
gessa

Re: O/T The Music Discussion Thread

Post by gessa »

Messing about on Spotify this morning and came acroos an ad for Another Nations National Anthem,so put them in the search but nothing came up so clicked on ad and it bought up a 5 track album and 3 singles really enjoyed the tracks.Anybody heard of them or know anything about them,I think a few on here would enjoy them,mind you a few others would n't touch em with a barge pole
Frusciante Is God
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Frusciante Is God »

Twiggster wrote: HEY NOW! That there TV on the Radio is rather good! I have it on repeat as I'm typing. Shades of Thomas Dolby perhaps? I do like that! :thup:

Joy Formidable - too busy for my ears, tho I did listen twice! Plus the singer looks like my kid sister and that is weird! :shock:

Glad you liked them Twiggs, defo reccomend the albums :-D
My last.Fm

Pretty Much Invisible.......
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Messing about on Spotify this morning and came acroos an ad for Another Nations National Anthem,so put them in the search but nothing came up so clicked on ad and it bought up a 5 track album and 3 singles really enjoyed the tracks.Anybody heard of them or know anything about them,I think a few on here would enjoy them,mind you a few others would n't touch em with a barge pole
No Ges no nothing about them

Will have to spotify the 5 tracks, appears the songs are only available for download
gessa

Post by gessa »

1964white wrote: No Ges no nothing about them

Will have to spotify the 5 tracks, appears the songs are only available for download

Worth doing for the track,About Your Fathers,alone. I'm sure you'll enjoy it mate

It is on You Tube,God i'm such a dullard I still can't Copy & Paste
Baby Lemonade
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baby Lemonade »

My next choice for best intro - the magnificent Small Faces, in my opinion THE most underrated band of all, this is also a great clip with the equally wonderful PP Arnold...

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

all nominations in by tonight at 9pm please including alterations
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

gessa wrote:
Worth doing for the track,About Your Fathers,alone. I'm sure you'll enjoy it mate

It is on You Tube,God i'm such a dullard I still can't Copy & Paste
ANNA ?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
gessa

Post by gessa »

Does that stand for

A Numpty Needs Assistance
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Messing about on Spotify this morning and came acroos an ad for Another Nations National Anthem,so put them in the search but nothing came up so clicked on ad and it bought up a 5 track album and 3 singles really enjoyed the tracks.Anybody heard of them or know anything about them,I think a few on here would enjoy them,mind you a few others would n't touch em with a barge pole
First listen to 'About Yor fathers' mate :)

Work prevails, will come back to the other tracks later Ges
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

faaip wrote:all nominations in by tonight at 9pm please including alterations
With altercations to follow....
Beware the fury of a patient man - John Dryden.
Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

Just got my hands on the new Riverside Ep Memories In My Head - great prog :-D
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Gino 1959 wrote:Just got my hands on the new Riverside Ep Memories In My Head - great prog :-D

You must know someone who went to the recent concerts, not released over here until mid to late June...

I've heard a lot of good reports so far...
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

barryanorak wrote:
You must know someone who went to the recent concerts, not released over here until mid to late June...

I've heard a lot of good reports so far...
I have a contact in UK :wink: He has stock, but cannot officially release until June 20th. It harks back to the sound of their early releases, Barry, and is worth the wait.

He also sent me Testimony 2 by Neal Morse, which I will be listening to later this afternoon.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

...I'll pray for you.

:wink:

(most honest review I've heard of T2 so far is, great music, but there's only so much God stuff you can ignore...)
Music so wishes to be heard that it sometimes calls on unlikely characters to give it voice...

Gino 1959
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Gino 1959 »

barryanorak wrote:...I'll pray for you.

(most honest review I've heard of T2 so far is, great music, but there's only so much God stuff you can ignore...)
Tedious and sub-Transatlantic - glad I did not pay for it! Would not even call it good 'Christian' rock.
Baby Lemonade
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Baby Lemonade »

My fifth intro...enter to the realm of satan :twisted:

revie-era
First Team
First Team

Post by revie-era »

barryanorak wrote:...I'll pray for you.

Have struggled with Spocks Beard, some bits quite sublime, others just needless twiddling and noodling. Haven't heard any Morse solo but cant think I'd take to that either.
Transatlantic - too keyboardy noodly twiddly as well.
Bit negative I know but at least there's plenty more good stuff around.
barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

revie-era wrote: Have struggled with Spocks Beard, some bits quite sublime, others just needless twiddling and noodling. Haven't heard any Morse solo but cant think I'd take to that either.
Transatlantic - too keyboardy noodly twiddly as well.
Bit negative I know but at least there's plenty more good stuff around.

I struggled with the Beard. Had a friend who raved about them, listeed politely but could see there was potential but didn't really 'get it'

Then I saw them live.

Up there in the top few gigs I've seen - unbelievable musicians, giving it 100%, 100% of the time.

The studio albums just seemed to make so much more sense subsequently.

Strange, really.

Never saw 'Snow' live, still think it's poor, but has one of my favourite Beard tracks on it.

barryanorak
Manager
Manager

Post by barryanorak »

Just because I can, but does he, I guess that's the question...

Twiggster
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Twiggster »

barryanorak wrote:Just because I can, but does he, I guess that's the question...
YES - Twiggs does approve! Saw him with band at Amsterdam Paradiso, 15 years ago (?) Wonderful gig, if a little jazzy..did a totally off the wall version of "Speed King", which brought the house down.
Anyway, after the show (a Thursday night), he came down to the Paradiso bar, were me and some of my friends were hanging out for a last beer. He was really friendly and answered all our questions easily and asked what we do. "Um - we're a band" I sheepishly replied. :oops: COOL! I'm here for a few days, are you playing any gigs?
We weren't, but we were the "house band" for a jam session for local musicians, every Friday night at a community center, way out of town. He asked for the address, so I wrote down all the info on a beer mat for him. We said goodbyes and went home. Great gig and he was a really cool guy.
Next night, we are jamming at the center and having a great evening - receptionist comes up to me and tells me some American guy was asking for me at the door. YUP! You guessed! :-D He came in and watched a few jams and then asked if he could jam! Well, you can't say no, can you? I played rhythm guitar on his first 2 jams with us, but he was leaving me way behind. Only the drummer and keyboard player could match him, where he was taking us. During the first break, in walks Jan Akkerman from Focus, who lived in the area and was a frequent visitor to the sessions. I asked him to take over my guitar as "I'm sure you will love jamming with this yank".
What followed was a guitar freaks wet dream! Akkerman and Morse, swapping the most complicated licks and all the local yokels in the crowd going wild, as the pair of them took their guitars to places I can only dream of!
Afterwards, Steve bought me a few beers and thanked ME! :shock:
I have a recording of that session on a cassette tape somewhere...
So a BIG FAT YES, to Steve Morse - absolutely TOP guy. :thup: